Lemon Thumbprint Cookies may be the cutest cookies you’ve ever made, eaten or seen. A small shortbread cookie filled with lemon curd goodness.
Some other recipes that use my homemade lemon curd
And I’m always looking for excuses to use lemon curd or what I call sunshine on a spoon. These Lemon Thumbprint Cookies is the perfect excuse.
How to Make Lemon Thumbprint Cookies
The dough for this cookie is a combination of powdered sugar, finely ground walnuts, flour and cornstarch which makes for a very light, melt in your mouth cookie. They are little too so you can eat lots and not feel guilty!
The little dollop of lemon curd on top of this cookie pretty much makes for sunshine in your mouth!
- Scoop your cookies onto a parchment covered cookie sheet. They are small cookies so about a generous tablespoon of dough. I used this cookie scoop.
- Use your thumb and leave your thumbprint in the middle of the cookie! Now you know why they are called thumbprint cookies.
- Fill the indentation with lemon curd so make the indentation big enough to hold that lemon curd but don’t go all the way through the ball of dough to the cookie sheet.
Bake the cookies for about 15-18 minutes and then let them cool.
After they are cooled, it’s time to fill them up with that lovely lemon curd. Use homemade lemon curd or store bought lemon curd.
Then just pop a few of these pretty little thumbprint cookies into your mouth and enjoy, a bit of sunshine in your mouth!
You can switch up the flavor if you want and add your favorite flavor of jam instead of lemon curd.
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Other favorite lemon treats include:
Lemon Thumbprint Cookies Recipe
Lemon Thumbprint Cookies
- 1 1/2 C butter softened
- 3/4 C powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 C all purpose flour
- 1 C cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 C walnuts toasted and finely ground
- Lemon Curd or other jam to fill cookie with
- In your mixer combine and cream together the butter and powdered sugar until light and creamy.
- Add in vanilla. Mix to blend.
- Put flour, cornstarch, nuts and salt in a small bowl and whisk together.
- Add flour mixture into butter and mix until blended.
- Refrigerate dough for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Grease cookie sheet or cover with parchment paper.
- Drop cookie dough onto sheets in a rounded teaspoon, one inch apart
- Use your thumb to press down into the middle of each ball making an indentation.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until lightly browned around edges.
- Cool completely.
- Fill indentation with lemon curd.