Layered Chicken Berry Salad is the perfect summer dish and a great way to use all of the in season berries.
We are trying to take full advantage of berry season here in the Northwest by adding berries into every recipe we can. Desserts, breakfast, appetizers, main dishes and salads. This layered berI’ve been doing a pretty good job of it if I do say so myself. This layered chicken berry salad is one of our favorite summer salad recipes.
This is also a great recipe to use with rotisserie chicken. I love being able to make quick and delicious meals without heating up the kitchen. Chicken Berry Salad and Napa Chicken Salad are two of my go to summer salad recipes for just this reason.
Chicken Berry Salad is a delicious and easy layered salad. To really get the biggest impact you need to use a pretty, clear bowl. That way you can enjoy the pretty colors and layers of the salad. Pretty and delicious.
How to Make a Layered Chicken Berry Salad
First, you start with a layer of lettuce. Then add some of that rotisserie chicken.
Next, you want to add a layer of sugared pecans. If you need a quick tutorial, you can check out how to make sugared nuts.
Looks at those yummy layers!
The next layer is the cheese. You can use any cheese you like, but I prefer gorgonzola, blue cheese, or feta. Don’t skimp on the cheese! You want to make a nice thick layer!
Next add another layer of lettuce. I used a combination of romaine and spinach.
And then you are ready for the crowning glory, a layer of beautiful, delicious, fresh berries. I used raspberries and blueberries this time. But you can throw in strawberries as well.
And what salad would be complete without a delicious dressing to top it off? I used fresh raspberries to make a raspberry poppyseed dressing. It is the perfect addition to this chicken berry salad.
Berry Chicken Salad Recipe
Layered Berry Chicken Salad with Raspberry Poppyseed Dressing
- Quantities will depend on the size of your bowl and the number people of you are feeding
- Lettuce - romaine and spinach
- Sugared Pecans
- Cheese - gorgonzola feta, blue cheese, monterey cheese or cheese of choice
- More lettuce
- Berries - combination of any that are in season. I used raspberries and blueberries
Raspberry Poppyseed Dressing
- If you don't have berries this dressing is also yummy without them.
- 1/3 C sugar
- 1/2 C red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 C fresh or frozen raspberries thawed
- 1 C canola oil
- 2 tsp poppy seeds
- Combine all ingredients except for oil and poppy seeds into a blender and blend for about 30 seconds.
- Gradually pour oil into blender in a slow, steady stream.
- Stir in poppy seeds.
- Refrigerate if not serving immediately.