Homemade Granola is a delicious snack or put it on top of some yogurt with fruit and you’ve got breakfast.
I love a good granola. I use to just buy it in the bulk bins at my local grocery store until I discovered how easy it is to make it myself.
The best part of making it myself is I can customize the granola to my particular tastes and preferences. In the store bought varieties there is usually one thing or another in the mix that I don’t care for so making my own special mixture works great.
I use a base of oats, flax seed meal, almonds, dried cherries and craisinets. You can add in any type of grain or seeds you like – maybe wheat germ, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, coconut flakes etc. You can then add in your favorite nut. I like almonds but pecans, peanuts, cashews or walnuts would be great too. Third, choose your dried fruit; dried blueberries, apricots, the possibilities are pretty much endless.
Combine all your grains, seeds, and nuts of choice with a mixture of butter, maple syrup, oil and brown sugar. I like to add in some cinnamon too.
After it is all combined spread spread it on a cookie sheet and bake at 300 degrees F for 30-40 minutes. Your house is going to smell yummy.
After removing it from the oven allow it to cool completely and then add in your dried fruit of choice. You could even add in some chocolate chips if you choose!
Granola is great to have on hand for lots of different reasons. I love just grabbing a handful as a quick and easy snack. And I’ve got a yummy dessert recipe that uses granola coming up soon. But one of my most favorite ways to enjoy homemade granola is on top of some Greek yogurt and then topped with fresh berries.
I then like to top it with a drizzle of honey!
It basically tastes like dessert for breakfast. I love the combination of all the textures. The nice smooth yogurt with the crunch of the granola and then the sweetness of the berries and honey.
I could pretty much eat this for any and every meal.
Homemade Granola Recipe
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1/3 C maple syrup
- 3 Tbsp oil
- 1/4 C light brown sugar packed
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 2 C of old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 C of another grain or seed such as sunflower seeds sesame seeds, coconut flakes etc. or just use more oats
- 1/4 C flax seed meal
- 1 C nuts I like raw slivered almonds
- 1 C of dried fruit cranberries, cherries, blueberries, apricots, etc.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Butter or grease a large rimmed baking sheet
- In a bowl combine butter, maple syrup, oil and brown sugar and microwave for 30 seconds.
- Add in cinnamon and salt and stir until smooth.
- Add the oats and other grains or seeds, nuts and flaxseed meal and stir until coated.
- Spread on cookie sheet and bake in oven for 30-40 minutes until it is golden brown.
- Stir occasionally during the baking time.
- Let cool completely and then add in dried fruit.
If you’ve tried this granola or any other recipe on Your Homebased Mom, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.