I need to start off with a few disclaimers:
1. I am not a fashion blogger nor am I a fashion photographer. This will be very evident by the photos in the post. I take pictures of food, not fashion and certainly not of myself wearing the fashion. Taking a bunch of selfies for this post was totally out of my comfort zone. Trying to get a photo where I didn’t look like I was in pain was a bit of a challenge!! I did my best. Please do not let my poor fashion photography skills reflect on the fashion itself.
2. I was not paid to write this review. I did however receive these clothes for free so I could review the Golden Tote services. All opinions expressed are 100% my own.
Although I don’t often blog about fashion I really like clothes. In fact if you were to ask my family how I felt about clothes they might say I LOVE clothes and that I am a little addicted. I also love shopping so when Golden Tote contacted me and asked me if I’d like to try out their service I of course said YES!
So what is Golden Tote? It was started by the owners of Puella, a clothing line. They began putting together grab bags of their clothes and selling them at a discounted price. They were such a success that the idea of Golden Tote was born.
Here is how it works:
1. Golden Tote has two sales a month. One sale is a $49 sale and the other is $149.00 With the first sale you get 2-3 articles of clothing worth up to $250. And with the $149 sale you 5-7 items worth up to $600. The sale starts on the first Monday of the month and continues all month or until the items sell out and I discovered some of the items sell out fast.
2. For each sale you get to pick 1-2 articles of clothing you want to receive in your shipment.
3. You fill out a size and style profile. I let them know I didn’t want any sleeveless items and no short skirts.
4. Based on your style profile, Golden Tote picks the remaining articles of clothes that will be part of your shipment.
5. You pay and then your clothes are shipped.
6. When your clothes arrive it is a little bit like Christmas! Love that part. Try everything on. Here is what I wasn’t quite sure about. If you like them and they fit, great. If not you have two options – keep them all and gift the ones that don’t fit or don’t like to someone else or send them all back. Initially I wasn’t sure about this part but once I got the clothes and I saw the high quality of the clothes I realized what a great deal Golden Tote was. Six pieces of high quality clothing for $149.00. I could gift the items that didn’t work for me to someone else and with 2 daughters and a daughter in law I figured that wouldn’t be a problem. If I didn’t like enough of the items to justify the price I could send everything back – no risk!
So how did my first Golden Tote work out? I ended up really liking everything in the tote but two of the pieces didn’t fit or work for my body type. But I found a happy home for them.
For the items that you pick out, they include a style card to show you how to accessorize the piece.
The Pleated Print Top is one of the pieces I picked.
The shirt fit perfect and I loved the style. The colors were a little bit different than I had anticipated. The pink is a little bit more “neon” than I would like but it has grown on me. It has a bit of a boxier fit that is so popular right now without being too boxy on my smaller frame.
The second piece I selected was the Embroidered Kimono.
This is a little more boho than my typical style but I thought it might be fun for the summer. Easy to throw on over lots of things, including a bathing suit. I ended up really liking it and think it will be really versatile. I also like the shorter length.
Next were the pieces I didn’t pick.
1. I liked it. I loved the sleeve length and the length of the shirt. Because I am short (5’2″) clothes can run long on me but I loved the length on this shirt. This was the first shirt I wore out of the tote and I know I will be wearing it a lot.
The back of the shirt hits a bit lower so that it covers your bottom and is a solid fabric as you can see in this photo.
2. The second piece I didn’t pick was a tribal inspired shirt. Before I even opened it out of the packaging it comes in I decided I wasn’t going to like it. Tribal just isn’t quite my thing and I never would have picked this out in the store but after I tried it on I have to say I like it! I think that is one of the great things about the Golden Tote concept is that it gets you to try things you might normally pick out for yourself and you may just end up loving it. A fun way to expand your fashion repertoire!
This shirt was a bit long on me, at least longer than I like for my short little body so I did the little side tuck thing. I could also easily add a little skinny belt to shorten up. This shirt also had a solid back fabric which is nice so there is not quite so much tribal going on! I really liked the sleeve length on this. Any shorter and it would cut my arm at a place I don’t like!
And now for the two pieces that didn’t work for me. I loved the colors and the stripes on this shirt but it was just way too much shirt for me. As I have mentioned above, I am short and this shirt just overwhelmed me. It looked like a maternity shirt on me. So I ended up gifting it to a pregnant friend of mine. She was so excited and loved it.
The second piece that didn’t work for me was too small. I loved the color and the style but it was a little too tight in the bust. This shirt is going to one of my girls who will look darling in it!
So over all the Golden Tote was a success. The price point works out to $25.00 an item. For good quality, current style fashion that is a great deal! I loved that I was able to gift two pieces to people too. Remember you can totally return the whole tote if not enough items work for you to make it worth it to you. Love that about Golden Tote.
I think Golden Tote is a great idea for those of us who love to shop but I think it is even a better idea for those girls who don’t like to shop. Let someone else do the shopping for you and let it show up at your door! All you have to do is try it on!
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.