Ginger Sesame Chicken Salad has amazing flavor and texture. It is great served as a side salad and a main dish when you add chicken.
I have piles of recipes that I have ripped out of magazines over the years, but only a small percentage of them ever actually get made. Today I am sharing one of those recipes that I found in a magazine and actually made.
Ginger Sesame Dressing
The dressing used in this salad is used both a marinade and a dressing. It has lots of yummy flavors including ginger, sriracha sauce, cilantro and hoisin sauce.
First, mix together the ingredients. Then use 4 Tbsp for the chicken marinade and reserve the remaining mixture to use as a dressing on the salad. Just be sure that the half for the dressing NEVER touches your raw chicken.
In addition to lots of yummy flavors, this salad also has lots of great texture.
- Napa Cabbage. This is a Chinese cabbage. If you can’t find napa cabbage you can use bok choy. You can even use romaine if cabbage isn’t an option or all spinach.
- Baby Spinach
- Sesame Seeds
- Green Onions
Main Dish Salad
Serve this salad as a main dish with the chicken or as a delicious side salad with an Asian inspired main dish. Just leave off the chicken.
How to Make Ginger Sesame Chicken Salad
- First, mix together marinade/dressing ingredients.
- Next, pound chicken into a thin, even layer, about 1/2-3/4 inch thick.
- Then, marinate chicken for 30 minutes in 4 Tbsp of the mixture. You can marinate for up to four hours.
- Grill chicken and slice.
- Finally, assemble salad and dress with remaining marinade/dressing.
Check out more of my yummy Asian inspired salads:
For all my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos
Sesame Ginger Salad Recipe
Sesame Ginger Salad with Chicken
Marinade and Dressing
- 1/4 C soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp minced ginger
- 1/4 C canola or vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp sriracha sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- 1/4 C red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 C finely chopped green onions
- 1 lb. Napa cabbage thinly sliced
- 2-3 C of baby spinach
- 2 carrots peeled and grated
- 3 green onions thinly sliced (green and white part)
- 1/2 C cilantro leaves coarsely chopped
- 1/2 C sliced toasted almonds
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- Mix together soy sauce, ginger, oil, hoisin sauce, sesame oil, sriracha and salt.
- Using a meat pounder or a heavy pan pound the chicken breasts to an even thickness (about 1/2 – 3/4 inch thick)
- Put chicken in zip to bag and add in 4 Tbsp marinade.
- Reserve rest of the marinade for dressing. PLEASE be sure it does not come in contact with the raw chicken.
- To reserved marinade add 1/4 C red wine vinegar, sugar and green onions.
- Grill marinated chicken breasts in a grill pan or on outdoor grill. Grill until cooked through.
- Allow chicken to rest for about 10-15 minutes.
- Cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
- In a large bowl combine cabbage, carrots, green onions, cilantro, half of sesame seeds and almonds.
- Add desired amount of dressing and chicken and mix together.
- Garnish with remaining sesame seeds and almonds.