Today I’ve got another Recipe Redo for you – one of my favorite recipes I shared in the beginning days of my blog that is so good it deserves a little facelift.
This recipe for Tomato Basil Tart is a perfect dish for a brunch, luncheon or as a side dish for dinner. You can combine it with a green salad and you have a meal. It is also a great dish for a picnic which is how I recently enjoyed it.
This recipe came from my mother who had attended a luncheon with some of the ladies in her apartment complex and when she came home she was raving about this dish that someone had brought. I told her to get the recipe for me!! And she did – thanks mom. It has become a favorite since the first time I made it. It tastes alot like pizza – with it’s warm mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese and tomatoes.
I have tweeked the recipe a bit. The original recipe called for a layer of fresh basil leaves and garlic – I used a layer of pesto instead. So here is my version of Tomato Basil Tart.
Allow the cheese to melt on the warm crust.
Then cover with a layer of pesto.
And then a layer of fresh Roma tomatoes. Mine came straight from the garden.
Next the mixture of mayonnaise, cheese and pepper goes on top of the tomatoes.
Top it off with some more Mozzarella cheese and it is ready for the oven. Bake until golden brown.
I like to garnish it with a little sliced fresh basil. The next step is to slice yourself a piece and enjoy. I love it warm, right out of the oven but it is lovely at room temperature and reheats well also.
Tomato Basil Tart
- Pie Crust store bought
- 1 1/2 C shredded Mozzarella
- 4 medium tomatoes sliced
- 1/4 C pesto
- 1/2 C mayo
- 1/4 C shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 tsp. white pepper
- fresh basil for garnish
- Bake pie crust according to directions on crust.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle 1/2 cup Mozzarella on bottom. Let cool.
- While crust is cooling, cut tomatoes into slices (about 1/4" thick or thicker if preferred) and drain on paper towel.
- Spread layer of pesto over cheese.
- Place tomatoes over pesto layer.
- Combine mayo, Parmesan, pepper and remaining Mozzarella and spread on top.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 35 minutes or until browned.
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.