Vanilla Frosted Cookies pack a double punch of pure amazing vanilla flavor!
Anyone else feel that vanilla always seems to get the short end of the stick? Vanilla has the reputation of being simple, boring, and unexciting and it gets lost in the sea of chocolate and seasonal flavors such as peppermint and pumpkin spice. In the spring it gets overshadowed by lemon and other citrus flavors so I am here to give vanilla it’s due!
I am a big vanilla fan and truth be told I will pick a good quality vanilla ice cream over chocolate just about any day. When vanilla is good, it is really good. These Frosted Vanilla Cookies are packed full of amazing vanilla flavor. They are good!
Double Vanilla Delights
This cookie is a soft vanilla sugar cookie with a delicious vanilla frosting – double vanilla! The original recipe called for using a vanilla bean but I didn’t have one soI used the second best thing, homemade vanilla extract I received as a gift this Christmas. Since vanilla is the star of the show here, use the best quality pure vanilla you can.
These cookies have a delicate light texture but are sturdy enough to hold up to a little handling and frosting.
How to Make Vanilla Frosted Cookies
- After mixing together the dough, form balls of dough.
- Roll the balls into some sugar.
- Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake 350 degrees F. for 9-11 minutes.
- Allow the cookies to cool and frost.
The cookies have enough flavor to stand all on their own without the frosting but I’m a big fan of frosting, especially on a sugar cookie. Make the frosting!
If you’d like to freeze these cookies follow my directions here.
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes
Some of our other favorite cookies include:
- Salted Caramel Brown Sugar Cookies
- Best Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Crispy Oatmeal Cookies
- Lemon Dream Cookies
Frosted Vanilla Cookie Recipe
Double Vanilla Delights
- 1 vanilla bean or 1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar for rolling
- 1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2 Tbsp butter softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Slice open vanilla bean and scrape with a sharp knife. Put seeds into a bowl.
- Add butter to seeds (or extract) and beat until creamy.
- Add sugar, 1/2 cup powdered sugar and egg. Beat until well mixed.
- Add flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt. Beat until well mixed.
- Place additional sugar for rolling in a bowl.
- Shape dough into 1 inch balls and roll in sugar.
- Place 2 inches apart on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 9-11 minutes or until lightly browned around edges.
- Cool completely
- Combine cream, butter, vanilla extract and 2 cups powdered sugar into a bowl and beat until combined. Add additional whipping cream if needed to get a good spreading consistency.
- Frost cooled cookies