I love getting emails from my readers whether it is asking me a question about a recipe or letting me know how much they love the blog. I even appreciate the occasional email that lets me know I have a typo in a post! I really do. One of the most frequent email I get is one asking me for the recipe for the pink frosted cookies I am holding in my profile picture.
I always get a kick out of those emails because I have to write back and let them know that I don’t have a recipe for those cookies on the blog. I purchased those cookies from the store on my way to the photo shoot! Can you believe it!!
So after several years of answering that question I decided I should just post a copycat recipe for those cookies. The cookies are Lofthouse sugar cookies. They are a nice thick, light sugar cookie with frosting and sprinkles.
I google around to find a recipe and found one over at Sweet Pea’s Kitchen. I divided her recipe in half and got about 2 dozen cookies. The dough is rather sticky but that is ok because you are going to refrigerate it and then add some more flour when you roll it out.
I wrapped it up in plastic wrap and refrigerated it overnight. If you need to hurry up the process pop it in the freezer for a bit.
When you are ready to roll them out add enough flour so that the dough doesn’t stick to the rolling pin or your countertop. I used a 2 inch round cookie cutter to cut out my cookies. They were about 1/4 inch thick.
Be sure and don’t overbake these cookies. You want them to still look white, just barely turning a little golden, I mean very little. Just around the bottom edge, ever so slightly.
I also did a fun Halloween version with orange frosting and sprinkles.
So next time someone emails me to ask for the recipe for the plate full of pink cookies in my picture I can send them a link to this post!
- 3 C flour divided
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 C butter room temperature
- 1 C sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 C sour cream
- 1/2 C butter softened
- 3 C powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 and 1/2 or milk just enough to get right consistency
- food coloring
- In a bowl combine 3 C flour, baking soda, baking powder.
- In a mixer cream together the butter and sugar at mediumn speed until light and fluffy.
- Add in eggs.
- Add in vanilla and sour cream and mix on low until combined.
- Add in dry ingredients and beat until just combined.
- Dough will be sticky.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Use some additional flour for counter and rolling pin to roll out dough 1/4 inch thick
- With a 2 inch round cutter cut out cookies.
- Bake at 425 on parchment lined cookie sheet for 6-8 minutes or until the cookie barely turns lightly brown around the bottom edge. Do not overcook these cookies!
- Transfer to a rack to cool.
- Beat together butter, sugar and vanilla until smooth.
- Add in just enough milk to get a consistency. Do 1 Tablespoon at a time.
- Add food coloring if wanted
- Frost cookies and add sprinkles.
- Store in an air tight container. Best to let cookies sit for several hours before serving.
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my ebook! Do you think your friends would love this too? Please share my blog with them. Thanks!