These Copycat Lofthouse Sugar Cookies are better than the store bought version!
If you love the store bought soft and delicious sugar cookies, now you can make them at home! Lofthouse Sugar Cookies are are a nice thick, light sugar cookie with frosting and sprinkles. And this copycat recipe is better than the originals!
This recipe makes about two dozen cookies. The dough is rather sticky but that is ok because you are going to refrigerate it and then add some more flour when you roll it out.
I wrapped it up in plastic wrap and refrigerated it overnight. If you need to hurry up the process pop it in the freezer for a bit.
When you are ready to roll them out add enough flour so that the dough doesn’t stick to the rolling pin or your countertop. I used a 2 inch round cookie cutter to cut out my cookies. They were about 1/4 inch thick.
Be sure and don’t overbake these cookies. You want them to still look white, just barely turning a little golden, I mean very little. Just around the bottom edge, ever so slightly.
I also did a fun Halloween version with orange frosting and sprinkles.
So next time someone emails me to ask for the recipe for the plate full of pink cookies in my picture I can send them a link to this post!
Some of my other favorite cookie recipes:
My favorite kitchen tools I use to make COPYCAT LOFTHOUSE SUGAR COOKIES:
PARCHMENT PAPER SHEETS – These precut sheets of parchment paper are a total time saver in the kitchen.
SHEET PAN – I have at least six of these in my kitchen. I use them everyday. The 13 x 18 size is perfect and I use them for everything!
COOKIE SCOOP – I have these in several different sizes but this is the one I use the most and is the perfect size for cookies
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Lofthouse Sugar Cookie Recipe
Lofthouse Sugar Cookies
- 3 C flour divided
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 C butter room temperature
- 1 C sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 C sour cream
- 1/2 C butter softened
- 3 C powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 and 1/2 or milk just enough to get right consistency
- food coloring
- In a bowl combine 3 C flour, baking soda, baking powder.
- In a mixer cream together the butter and sugar at mediumn speed until light and fluffy.
- Add in eggs.
- Add in vanilla and sour cream and mix on low until combined.
- Add in dry ingredients and beat until just combined.
- Dough will be sticky.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Use some additional flour for counter and rolling pin to roll out dough 1/4 inch thick
- With a 2 inch round cutter cut out cookies.
- Bake at 425 on parchment lined cookie sheet for 6-8 minutes or until the cookie barely turns lightly brown around the bottom edge. Do not overcook these cookies!
- Transfer to a rack to cool.
- Beat together butter, sugar and vanilla until smooth.
- Add in just enough milk to get a consistency. Do 1 Tablespoon at a time.
- Add food coloring if wanted
- Frost cookies and add sprinkles.
- Store in an air tight container. Best to let cookies sit for several hours before serving.
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.