Banana Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting are the perfect way to use leftover bananas!
What Do I Do With Ripe Bananas?
When you find a couple of ripe bananas on your counter what is the first thing you think of ? Most likely it’s banana bread! Well, I’ve got another solution for you and it is today’s recipe for delicious banana bars.
The recipe uses a big jelly roll pan so there is plenty to share and it makes a good “potluck” dessert since it makes so much
How to Make Banana Bars
- Cream together sugar, butter and eggs and adding in sour cream and vanilla.
- Mix together your dry ingredients and add into wet ingredients..
- Add in your mashed bananas, I mash mine in the food processor but if you like chunks of banana in yours just mash them with the bottom of a fork.
- Spread into the jelly roll pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 20-25 minutes.
- Allow cake to cool.
- Mix together cream cheese frosting and frost cake.
How to Make Cream Cheese Frosting
My favorite part is the cream cheese frosting on top.
- Be sure your cream cheese is softened at room temperature.
- Beat together cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth and creamy.
- Spread on cooled banana bars.
They are moist and full of yummy banana flavor and the cream cheese frosting is amazing.
Do Banana Bars Need to Be Refrigerated?
If you have any leftover banana bars you will want to refrigerate them because of the cream cheese frosting. I also think they are delicious chilled!
How Do You Get Bananas To Ripen Quickly?
Craving banana bars but there are no ripe bananas on your counter? No worries, I’ve got you covered.
Oven Method for Ripening Bananas.
- Place the unpeeled banana on a foil lined baking sheet. Place in a 300 degree F oven for 15-20 minutes or until the skin turns black.
- Allow banana to cool on tray. Peel and your banana is ready for banana bars.
Microwave Method for Ripening Bananas
- Microwave peeled banana for 30 seconds, then in 10 second increments until it is ripe enough. This method will reduce the flavor and sweetness of the banana.
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Banana Bars Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 bananas ripe and mashed, enough to make 1 cup
- 8 oz. cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup butter soft
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- Cream: sugar, butter, eggs
- Add: sour cream, vanilla
- Combine and add dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, salt
- Stir in ripe mashed bananas (enough to make 1 cup).
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes in jelly roll pan
- Mix all ingredients together. Spread over cooled banana bars
Originally posted on December 2, 2007