Apple Pear Crisp is delicious and has amazing flavor and texture thanks to the sweet fruit and the crunch of the walnuts.
It doesn’t get much better than a warm, delicious fruit crisp baked in a cast iron pan topped with ice cream and caramel sauce. I love the sweet softness of the fruit and the crunch of the topping. Thanks to the addition of chopped walnuts and walnut meal in this recipe you’ve got both flavor and crunch.
You can cook this in any baking dish you like if you dont’ have a cast iron pan but I’m a big fan of cast iron.
What is Walnut Meal?
Instead of using just flour, sugar and oats for the crisp topping I added in some walnut meal or walnut flour. Walnut meal or flour can purchased at some grocery stores or you can make your own by grinding up walnuts in a blender or food processor.
What is the Difference Between Crisp and Cobbler?
A crisp is fruit dessert made with a topping of oats, flour, butter, and sugar (and sometimes nuts). The topping completely covers the fruit.
A cobbler is a fruit dessert that is baked with a biscuit type topping. You can find my favorite cobbler recipe here.
What Kind of Apples and Pears Should I Use?
I like to use Granny Smith apples and Anjou pears. Some pears bake better than others and the anjou hold up better when baked than other pears.
How to Make Apple Pear Crisp?
- Prepare fruit by peeling and slicing.
- Cover fruit with a mixture of sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and lemon juice.
- Place fruit into a cast iron pan or a baking dish.
- Make your crumble topping by combining walnut meal, flour, brown sugar, oats, cinnamon and butter.
- Cut the butter into the mixture until it forms a coarse crumble.
- Sprinkle the crumb mixture over the top of the fruit. I then sprinkle some additional chopped walnuts over the top.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 40-45 minutes or until the apple mixture is bubbling and the topping is golden brown.
How to Serve Apple Pear Crisp
Of course you can grab a spoon and dig in at this point or you can make it even better and add some vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of caramel sauce.
For all my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos
Apple Pear Crisp Recipe
Apple Pear Walnut Crisp
- 3 apples granny smith, peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- 2 pears anjou, peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 3/4 cup walnut meal or flour
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
- 1/2 cup walnuts coarsley chopped
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter chilled and sliced
- caramel sauce
- ice cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a bowl, toss together sliced fruit, sugar, corn starch, cinnamon and lemon juice.
- Place fruit in the bottom of a 10″ cast iron pan or baking dish.
- In another bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, oats, cinnamon and sliced butter. Cut butter into mixture until a coarse crumb forms. Add in chopped walnuts
- Sprinkle mixture over the top of fruit.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until fruit mixture is hot and bubbly and topping is golden brown.
- Serve with ice cream and a drizzle of caramel sauce.