Apple Pear Walnut Crisp is delicious and has amazing flavor and texture thanks to the sweet fruit and the crunch of the walnuts.
This post is sponsored by the California Walnut Board but all opinions are my own.
It doesn’t get much better than a warm, delicious fruit crisp baked in a cast iron pan topped with ice cream and caramel sauce. I love the sweet softness of the fruit and the crunch of the topping. Thanks to the addition of chopped walnuts and walnut meal in this recipe you’ve got both flavor and crunch. My husband loved the addition of the walnuts and is still talking about it. You can cook this in any baking dish you like if you dont’ have a cast iron pan but I’m a big fan of cast iron.
Instead of using just flour, sugar and oats for the topping I added in some walnut meal (which is basically ground up walnuts). It was a good decision. I first coated the sliced apples and pears with some sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and a little lemon juice. I like to use Granny Smith apples and Anjou pears. Some pears bake better than others and the anjou hold up better when baked than other pears.
Then I added the topping of walnut meal, flour, brown sugar, oats, cinnamon and butter. Cut the butter into the mixture until it forms a coarse crumble. If you want a delicious gluten free dessert, substitute the flour for more walnut meal and be sure you are using a certified gluten free oatmeal. You can purchase walnut flour or meal or you can make your own by pulverizing walnuts in the food processor. Just don’t process too long or you’ll end up with walnut butter. Just pulse until you get the consistency you want. Sprinkle the crumb mixture over the top of the fruit. I then sprinkle some additional chopped walnuts over the top.
Bake at 350 degrees F for about 40-45 minutes or until the apple mixture is bubbling and the topping is golden brown.
Of course you can grab a spoon and dig in at this point or you can make it even better and add some vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of caramel sauce. Yes, please!
Now you can grab a spoon and dig it!
Printable Recipe for Apple Pear Walnut Crisp
- 3 apples granny smith, peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- 2 pears anjou, peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 3/4 cup walnut meal or flour
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
- 1/2 cup walnuts coarsley chopped
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter chilled and sliced
- caramel sauce
- ice cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a bowl, toss together sliced fruit, sugar, corn starch, cinnamon and lemon juice.
- Place fruit in the bottom of a 10" cast iron pan or baking dish.
- In another bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, oats, cinnamon and sliced butter. Cut butter into mixture until a coarse crumb forms. Add in chopped walnuts
- Sprinkle mixture over the top of fruit.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until fruit mixture is hot and bubbly and topping is golden brown.
- Serve with ice cream and a drizzle of caramel sauce.
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my ebook! Do you think your friends would love this too? Please share my blog with them. Thanks!