This apple cake with caramel sauce is the perfect fall dessert, it tastes just like fall.
This recipe came from a family cookbook my daughter put together several years ago which was a compilation of the Best (my maiden name) Family’s favorite recipes. This recipe was from my mom and is one she made regularly for a group of her empty nester friends. It was on repeat because everyone loved it. This cake is the perfect way to welcome fall and literally tastes just like fall (if fall had a taste!)
It also smells just like fall thanks to the cinnamon spiced cake that is full of chunks of apple. Serve it warm and drizzled with my favorite homemade caramel sauce along with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and you have heaven.
Does anything else scream fall as much as apples and caramel!!
How to Make Apple Cake
- This recipes makes an 8 x 8 size cake but could easily be doubled for a 9 x 13 cake.
- I like to use a tart Granny Smith apple chopped into small pieces.
- If you are a fan of nuts in your baked codes add in some pecans or walnuts.
- Mix up a batch of caramel sauce using this recipe.
For other delicious apple recipes check out these:
Check out more delicious dinner ideas on my Facebook page and follow me on Instagram.
Best Apple Cake Recipe
Make sure to check out the caramel sauce recipe.
Apple Cake with Caramel Sauce
- 1/2 C unsalted butter
- 1 C sugar
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1 1/2 C flour
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 cups tart apples peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 C pecans optional for cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9 x 9 pan.
- Beat sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time.
- Add flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Mix until incorporated.
- Add apples, nuts if desired and vanilla.
- Pour batter into pan.
- Bake 35-45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Serve with caramel sauce and ice cream if desired.
Originally posted Oct. 6, 2011
Leave a Review