One of my favorite parts of holiday planning is deciding what cookies we are going to make for our Annual Cookie/Candy Making Day. There is quite a science to it. You want to make sure you have a nice selection of flavors and textures. It should not only be delicious but pretty too! Not too much chocolate (can you really have too much chocolate?), some citrus, a little peppermint and something with nuts.
I am not a big fan of nuts in my baked goods. I love nuts – just not in my baked goods. That was until I made the cookie I am going to share with you today. This recipe for Almond Toffee Cookies with Browned Butter Icing calls for toasted nuts. A toasted nut has an amazing flavor.
That flavor is enhanced by the nutty flavor of the browned butter that goes into the frosting on the cookie.
I am a total fan of anything with browned butter. I love, love, love the flavor of browned butter. Sometimes I brown butter for recipes that don’t call for browned butter.
The cookie is full of yummy roasted almonds chopped up nice and fine. You get the amazing flavor of the toasted nut but you don’t have big chunks of nut in your cookie. I like that.
Throw in a cup of toffee bits along with those nuts and the flavor is perfect.
Then cover the whole thing with a browned butter icing and you have heaven. Pure heaven.
The cookie is a nice thin cookie but is still chewy. Love the combination of the flavor of the toasted nuts with the sweetness of the toffee topped with the nutty flavor of browned butter.
After the frosting sets up they are ready to box up to give as gifts or to eat! I love using disposable take out containers I pick up at the grocery/restaurant supply place in town.
Another winner for your holiday cookie plate.
Almond Toffee Cookies with Browned Butter Icing
- 1 C butter softened
- 1 C packed brown sugar
- 1/4 C granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/2 C flour
- 1 C toffee pieces
- 3/4 C ground toasted almonds see note below.
Brown Butter icing
- 4 Tbsp butter.
- 3 C powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1-2 Tbsp milk
- In your mixer beat butter for 30 seconds.
- Add brown sugar and granulated sugar, salt and baking soda.
- Beat until combined, add in egg and vanilla.
- Add in flour, toffee bits and ground almonds.
- Divide dough in half. Shape into a 10 inch long roll and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 6 hours (or 1 hour in the freezer). The dough needs to be firm enough to slice.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut rolls into 1/4 inch slices and place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 7-8 minutes or until edges are firm and light brown. Cool on rack.
Browned Butter Icing:
- In a small pan melt 4 Tbsp. butter over medium heat until the butter turns light brown.
- Stir frequently.
- Remove from heat and add in 3 cups powdered sugar and 2 tsp vanilla.
- Add enough milk (1-2 Tbsp) to make the icing spreading consistency.
To Toast Nuts:
- I purchase my nuts already toasted from Trader Joes but if you can't find them you can toast your nuts by heating your oven to 300 degrees and spreading nuts out in a single layer on a cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until they begin to turn golden brown.
- Stir once or twice and then cool. I used slivered almonds.
- Grind them in your food processor or blender.
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.