The Power of Words

This next week I am teaching a class for the women’s group (Relief Society)  at a ward (congregation) here in Portland.  I am talking about words and the power of words in our life.

As a result, I’ve been thinking a lot about words lately and how they impact us.  Do you have a word, a quote, a scripture, a song (any combination of words) that has impacted  your life?  Really made a difference?

I’d love for you to share by leaving a comment.

Here’s some words I found recently over at Sherbet Blossom that I printed off and now have hanging on my refrigerator!Content Quote

I have found it important to surround myself with inspirational words like this.  I need to be reminded daily that it is important to be happy with what I have and not always wishing for what I don’t or can’t  have.  I guess I am a slow learner and that daily reminder helps!

What words help you?

Comments

Linda says:

Leigh Anne, I just saw a quote today from John Ortberg that I really liked. He says “Peace doesn’t come from finding a lake with no storms. It comes from having Jesus in the boat.”

Linda says:

Leigh Anne, I keep many phrases, quotations and poems around the house because I never know when I might ‘need one’ :). Here is one: “What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

and another: Be Grateful

for good music, for dark chocolate,
    for a place to call home, for warm hugs,
    for quiet time, freedom to dream, for family time,
    for understanding souls, for kindred spirits,
    for true forgiveness, for sweet memories,
    for pink bubblegum, for silliness, for red shoes,
    for blue skies, for every breath,
    for sunshine on your face, for a child’s laughter,
    for God’s grace

and another: The path to a dream is paved
    with sacrifices
    and lined with determination.
    And though it has many stumbling blocks
    along the way
    and may go in more than one direction,
    it is marked with faith.
    It is traveled by belief and courage,
    persistence and hard work.
    It is conquered with a willingness
    to face challenges and take chances,
    to fail and try again and again.
    Along the way, you may have to confront
    doubts, setbacks and unfairness.
    But when the path comes to an end,
    you will find that there is no greater joy
    than making your dream come true.

Barbara Cage
    The Path to a Dream

Alison L says:

I received this quote over 25 years ago at girls camp and have carried it in my wallet ever since.

If I am to be happy it is up to me. I will not let moods or circumstances rule me.

Cheryl S. says:

PEACE

It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

(unknown)

Tamara says:

An insightful Relief Society President shared some powerful words with me about 10 years ago: “Rejoice when others have a blessing you so desire.” So I gave the wedding showers, wrote to the missionaries, and now spoil other people’s grandchildren because mine are so far away. Rejoicing with others over desired blessings has brought me great JOY too.

Marnie says:

These words from Doctrine and Covenants 101:16 have had a huge impact on my life: “Be still and know that I am God”. (Also in Psalms 46:10) This phrase helps ground me when life gets hard, too stressful and I just seem to be spinning my wheels. Those times are when these words remind me to just stop and ” be still” and remember who is really in charge. It never fails to bring peace to my heart. The situation doesn’t change but my attitude sure does. What a difference!

Rhonda says:

I’m not as eloquent as the former posters here….but really do share the same sentiments as Linda and Marnie.

But, of course… nothing beats D&C 4, where we read about the Godly attributes and about the beauty of faith, hope, charity and love….all with an eye single to the glory of God.

1 Now behold, a marvelous work is about to come forth among the children of men.

2 Therefore, O ye that embark in the service of God, see that ye serve him with all your heart, might, mind and strength, that ye may stand blameless before God at the last day.

3 Therefore, if ye have desires to serve God ye are called to the work;

4 For behold the afield is white already to harvest; and lo, he that thrusteth in his sickle with his might, the same layeth up in store that he perisheth not, but bringeth salvation to his soul;

5 And a faith, hope, charity and love, with an eye single to the glory of God, qualify him for the work.

6 Remember faith, a virtue, knowledge, temperance, patience, brotherly kindness, godliness, charity, humility, diligence.

7 Ask, and ye shall receive; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. Amen.

I also have lived by the words of Booker T. Washington: “Those who are happiest are those who do the most for others.”

Valerie A. H. says:

Hi Leigh Anne,
    Here are some of the quotes I like…

My Symphony

“To live content with small means;
    To seek elegance rather than luxury,
    and refinement rather than fashion;
    To be worthy , not respectable, and wealthy, not rich;
    To study hard, think quietly,
    Talk gently,
    Act frankly;
    To listen to stars and birds, to babes and sages, with open heart;
    To bear all cheerfully,
    Do all bravely,
    Await occasions,
    Hurry never.
    In a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common.
    THIS IS TO BE MY SYMPHONY
    ~By William Henry Channing

——————————————–
    Let anyone who comes to you go away feeling better and happier. Every one should see goodness in your face, in your eyes, in your smile. Joy shows from the eyes. It appears when we speak and walk. It cannot be kept closed inside us. It reacts outside. Joy is very infectious. – Mother Teresa
    ———————————————

“It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all”
    ~Laura Ingalls Wilder

Karmen says:

A line from a hymn has been helpful to me in many different situations. It is funny because it isn’t even one of my favorite hymns, although I like it…
    “…it may not be at the battle’s front my Lord will have need of me. I’ll go where you want me to go…” and one that echo’s in my mind and heart is my grandmothers’ loving reminder “If you don’t have something nice to say, then don’t say anything at all.” Good luck with your lesson!

Caryn Ogle says:

All of my favorite words come from the Bible. Two passages in particular stand out to me. The first I came across years ago and I recite whenever I am overwhelmed or fearful. It says, “It is the Lord who goes before you, He will be with you. He will not fail you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed.” Deuteronomy 31:8 It is a great reminder that I am not alone and that He knows the road I am going to travel, He has already gone before me.

The other is one that I have come to love more recently. I keep this in mind as I see my children growing up and learning to make choices for themselves. Taking 3 steps forward and 2 steps back. Philippians 1:6 says, “And I am certain that God who began the good work in you will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns.” This is just a great reminder that God is not finished with them or me yet. We are all works in progress.

Jennifer G. says:

I love music and am one of those people that can put a song to just about any phrase or word. My friends will finish a sentence and a song lyric comes to mind(and many times and sing it out loud as well.)

Many a day as I am hustling and bustling around town trying to get this or that done a song comes to my mind. It is from the ‘Women at the Well’ sound track. Foolish or Wise. I love this song…it is talking about the 10 Virgins. ‘foolish or wise, real or disguised. Every soul free to choose…foolish or wise. It also talks about choosing the better part.

How often this can apply to my daily life. Will I be foolish and unprepared for whatever may come my way both temporally and spiritually? Or wise and choose the better part? It is all encompassing in our daily lives!

Leigh Anne you will do great! You’ll have to let us all know how it goes.

Ledys says:

I love Sister Hinckley’s quote:
    “As you create a home, don’t get distracted with a lot of things that have no meaning for you or your family. Don’t dwell on your failures, but think of your successes. Have joy in your home. Have joy in your children. Have joy in your husband. Be grateful for the journey.” it has really inspired me to focus on my family first–after all, they are my biggest blessing!

Dawn says:

Leigh Anne,
    Your quote you printed off remind me of the songs lyrics: “It’s not about having what you want, but wanting what you have.”

Carol Rodda says:

Leigh Anne,
    I LOVE words!! They have such amazing power to change lives and build people up! I enjoy collecting quotes…and could go on ALL day. But here are three very recent ones I’ve come across.

A successful marriage is the union of two great forgivers. – unknown.

To find the joy in each day is to add light to the world. -Adele Basheer

Follow the magic in your heart. It is the inspiration for your life. – Adele Basheer

And one more:
    “The wisdom of God tells us that God will bring about the best possible results, by the best possible means, for the most possible people, for the longest possible time.” Unknown

And I really enjoyed your Words of Wisdom posts…you must have a delightful quote source!!
    Best wishes for your talk.
    Warmly,
    Carol
    Carol Rodda recently posted..On Valentines Traditions…

Tammy says:

“Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.” – Colossians 4:6

Heidi says:

I have a quote on my fridge from Abraham Lincoln:

“Whatever you are, be a good one.”

Simple. Succinct. And so very true.

My blog header is “Happiness is where you find it.” I truly believe that.