Strawberry Pizza is a delicious and fun way to serve those fresh ripe strawberries!
We picked our first strawberries from the garden this last week. There is nothing like a strawberry fresh out of the garden.
I didn’t have to think long about what to make with the strawberries. Traditionally one of our family’s favorite “first strawberries of the season” recipes is Strawberry Pizza, a sure sign that strawberry season is here. It is from my favorite cookbook – Portland Junior League Portland Palate.
I never have trouble finding the recipe because it is the dirtiest page in the cookbook – a true sign of a great recipe!
This is actually a recipe redo – one I shared back in 2008, not too long after I started the blog. It is totally worthy of a repeat and new photos. It is so good. When Logan saw me post a photo of it on instagram he quickly asked if I would make it again next weekend when he is home visiting!
The pizza is made with a sugar cookie type crust, a layer of cream cheese and then strawberries and glaze on top – kind of sounds like the Strawberry Pie I have shared – just in a different form! Guess I have a thing for strawberries and cream cheese.
When you mix up the crust it will seem a bit crumbly but just use your hands and form it into a ball. It will come together nicely.
Just roll it out with a rolling pin on an ungreased cookie sheet or a baking stone will work too.
Bake for about 12-15 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
While it is baking and cooling mix up your cream cheese mixture and your strawberry mixture. Use 1 cup of smashed strawberries. I do mine in the food processor.
Cook the strawberries with sugar and cornstarch until it thickens and is glossy – will take about 5-10 minutes. Cool.
After the crust is cool spread with cream cheese mixture you mixed up.
Add strawberry mixture and sliced strawberries.
The crust ends up being a bit fragile so it can be a bit messy to eat. I just use my pizza cutter to slice it up.
You don’t even have to remove it from the cookie sheet because it will disappear before you have a chance! So good!!
For other strawberry goodness check out these recipes:
- 1 C flour
- ¼ C powdered sugar
- ½ C butter
- 1 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, room temperature
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ C granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 C fresh strawberries, mashed
- 4 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 10-12 strawberries, sliced
- In a bowl combine flour, sugar and butter. Form into a ball with hands and press or roll into a 14" circle on an ungreased cookie sheet or pizza pan.
- Bake at 325 Degrees F for 15 minutes. Cool.
- In a bowl combine cream cheese, vanilla, sugar and lemon juice. Spread on cooled crust.
- In a saucepan over medium heat combine strawberries, sugar and cornstarch. Stir and simmer until thick and glossy. Cool.
- Spread on top of cheese filling.
- Cut fresh strawberries crosswise to make circles and place on pizza and serve.