Strawberry Pizza

strawberry pizza

We picked our first strawberries from the garden this last week.  There is nothing like a strawberry fresh out of the garden.

strawberries

I didn’t have to think long about what to make with the strawberries.  Traditionally one of our family’s favorite “first strawberries of the season” recipes is Strawberry Pizza,  a sure sign that strawberry season is here.   It is from my favorite cookbook – Portland Junior League Portland Palate.

I never have trouble finding the recipe because it is the dirtiest page in the cookbook  – a true sign of a great recipe!

This is actually a recipe redo – one I shared back in 2008, not too long after I started the blog.  It is totally worthy of a repeat and new photos.  It is so good.  When Logan saw me post a photo of it on instagram he quickly asked if I would make it again next weekend when he is home visiting!

The pizza is made with a sugar cookie type crust, a layer of cream cheese and then strawberries and glaze on top – kind of sounds like the Strawberry Pie  I have shared – just in a different form!   Guess I have a thing for strawberries and cream cheese.

When you mix up the crust it will seem a bit crumbly but just use your hands and form it into a ball.  It will come together nicely.

Strawberry Pizza

Just roll it out with a rolling pin on an ungreased cookie sheet or a baking stone will work too.

Strawberry Pizza

Bake for about 12-15 minutes or until lightly golden brown.

While it is baking and cooling mix up your cream cheese mixture and your strawberry mixture.  Use 1 cup of smashed strawberries.  I do mine in the food processor.

Strawberry Pizza

Cook the strawberries with sugar and cornstarch until it thickens and is glossy – will take about 5-10 minutes.  Cool.

Strawberry Pizza

After the crust is cool spread with cream cheese mixture you mixed up.

Strawberry Pizza

Add strawberry mixture and sliced strawberries.

Strawberry Pizza

The crust ends up being a bit fragile so it can be a bit messy to eat.  I just use my pizza cutter to slice it up.

Strawberry Pizza

You don’t even have to remove it from the cookie sheet because it will disappear before you  have a chance!  So good!!

Strawberry Pizza

For other strawberry goodness check out these recipes:

Strawberry Cream Pie

Warm Strawberry Spinach Salad

Strawberry Avocado Spinach Salad

Roasted Corn, Strawberry and Avocado Salsa

Enjoy!

You can also visit me on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter or Instagram.

For a list of where I Link Up each week go here.

Red Velvet Bundt Cake

• 1 cup butter, room temperature
  • 1¾ cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons white vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2¼ cup all-purpose flour
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 1½ teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 ounce bottle red food coloring or 2 teaspoons Americolor Super Red plus 1 tablespoon water
  • for cream cheese icing
  • ¼ cup butter, softened
  • 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  1. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add in eggs, one at a time.
  2. In a small dish, make a paste of the vinegar and cocoa powder, add to batter. Add in vanilla.
  3. Stir together flour, salt and baking soda.
  4. Alternating, add flour mixture and buttermilk to batter, starting and ending with flour. Add in food coloring.
  5. Spoon batter into a well greased and floured bundt pan. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 50-60 minutes, testing for doneness using a toothpick, when inserted in center of cake it comes out clean. Let cake rest in pan for 30-40 minutes before inverting on to cooling rack to cool completely.
Icing
  1. Cream together butter and cream cheese until smooth. Slowly add in powdered sugar until all combined and smooth. Place icing in a study plastic bag (I use a freezer bag) squeezing into one bottom corner. using scissors, cut off corner of bag, creating a small hole. Squeeze bag as you drizzle over cake.

Comments

1. Kismet says

We make this using Pillsbury refrigerated sugar cookie dough. It holds up really well. If you are ambitious you can even cut them to make individual pizzas.

2. Sarah @ Domestically-Made.com says

I love this time of year, because there are just so many wonderful things you can do with strawberries. And this looks so good! Can’t wait to try it!

I just went strawberry picking and now I know the next thing I will be making with the strawberries I picked. This looks amazing! Thanks so much for sharing :)

4. Jamie @ Love Bakes Good Cakes says

Ummmm …. I think I want this for dinner!!! So yummy and I love the pictures!! I’ve shared it on my FB page! Thanks so much for linking up at All My Bloggy Friends!

Wow! That pie looks super yummy!

Hi I am stopping by your blog from the Adorned From Above Wednesday Blog Hop. I would very much love it if you would stop by ours as well. We also have a great giveaway running with a winner to be announced in 8 days. Come on by and join up. We will also have a blog hop Friday.

Blog: http://www.ashleychapmandesigns.com/blog

Thanks so much!
    Ashley

I have had many fruit pizzas but I have never had a fruit pizza that is JUST strawberries! I can’t believe I never have, I don’t know what I have been missing because this looks delicious! I’m new to the blogging world and found your recipe from a link party and I’m so glad I did!

Ally

Your strawberry pizza looks awesome!!! I love how you did the “sauce” and topped it with the strawberries. Looks wonderful and so perfect for the summer!

8. Tricia says

I made this and it was SO delicious and a huge hit. The only problem I had was that the crust was very very fragile- it cracked all over after baking; luckily I was able to disguise it with all of the “pizza” toppings. Any tips for making it a bit more substantial? Or did I roll it out too thin? Thanks for another yummy recipe!

I am so glad it was a hit. Next time, don’t roll the cookie crust out quite as thin. If it is too thin it will fall apart. It is a nice light, cookie crust and so it makes it more fragile but also taste better!

Hi Leigh Ann,
    I just love you Strawberry Pizza. Thank you so much for sharing your great recipe with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you have a great week and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

10. Renee J says

I made this last night! I must say…it was AWESOME!!! I didn’t have a lemon on hand, so I used half of a 6oz cup of FF lemon greek yogurt & mixed it in with the cream cheese (so 3oz total)…HELLO, it was amazing! Also, I used FF cream cheese and I couldn’t tell the difference! This is a keeper!!! ;)

Strawberry pizza? Sounds weird, looks wonderful! This is such a creative and unique dessert! It’s one of those dishes I wish I’d heard about years ago. Thank you for sharing! : )

OMG! My mom and I have been making this for special occasions since I was high school some 20+ years ago. I have seen lots of other recipes but they use actual sugar cookie dough for the crust. I am so glad to see you have “our” recipe!