Smart Cookie Graduation Party}Milk & Cookies

Smart Cookie Graduation Party

This weekend we held the first of our two graduation parties – our Smart Cookie Party.

You can see the cute  Smart Cookie invite I created here.

The party was on Sunday afternoon and we wanted to do something a little different than the typical/usual barbeque so we went with a Smart Cookie Party with a milk & cookie bar.

Smart Cookie Party

It was a huge hit and we went through about 400 cookies with over 100 guests.

We had 10 different kinds of cookies – here is the cookie menu.

Smart Cookie Party

I love my new chalkboard and am finding all kinds of uses for it.

The majority of the cookie recipes are already on the blog but a few more of them will be coming.  I had help from a couple of sweet friends who baked for me too.

I used my collection of cake stands for all the cookies and a couple of old vintage suitcases I have picked up at the dump and Goodwill.

Smart Cookie Party

The pennant banner is made out of scrapbook paper and some pages from an old French book I had. I just hot glued the paper onto some bakers twine.

Smart Cookie Party

I used some old vintage books I had on my shelf to help create some height and interest on the table too.

Smart Cookie Party

I also used some of the paper to make some fun pennants that said BYU and YAY because we are so excited she is going to BYU!  They are just hot glued right onto some bamboo skewers.

Smart Cookie Party

There were lots of cookies but I only had about a dozen cookies left at the end of the party!!

I made the little cookie labels from some tags I picked up in the scrapbooking department – they were precut and preprinted and all we had to do was write the name of the cookie on it – so easy!  My handy dandy little easels from the dollar store worked great too.

Smart Cookie Party

There were so many cookie choices it was hard to pick!
Smart Cookie Party

Of course, you can’t have cookies without milk so we had 3 choices of milk, skim, 2% and chocolate.  Chocolate was the big hit and I could have had twice as much of that one.  We served the milk in little “milk” bottles which are really Starbuck Frappuccino jars.  Thanks to my friend Dawn who helped me out by drinking all that coffee from the bottles I bought and to blog reader Linda who mailed me a box of  empty jars!!

Smart Cookie Party

I used an old vintage Pepsi crate I had to put the bottles in and then some fun red striped and blue striped straws I bought through Garnish.

Smart Cookie Party

The bottles were a huge, huge hit and everyone loved drinking their milk out of them.

I also went a little chalkboard crazy and made a few more – in colors to match the party of course.

I used them as decoration at the party and wrote some fun Dr. Seuss quotes on them that were appropriate for a graduate.

Smart Cookie Party

We displayed some of her awards (Honor Thespian and Best Thespian)  She is also a Westview Academic Scholar so has a shawl for that and her Honor’s Project as well as cords for NHS and Honor Thespian.  Like I said she is one Smart Cookie!

The red chalkboard is going to take up permanent residence in my downstairs bathroom where I will write different poems on it from time to time.  Everyone needs reading material in their bathroom.

The other fun thing we did was borrow my neighbor’s vintage typewriter.

Smart Cookie Party

We asked each of the guests to leave  a little message for Tessa. Everyone had so much fun typing on it and many of the younger children had never typed on a real typewriter before.  One of them asked how to erase – wondered where the delete key was!  I need to find myself an old typewriter.

Smart Cookie Party

All, in all the party was a huge success and really fun to put together.  I loved the cookie menu and so did our guests!  Most importantly Tessa loved the party and felt loved by so many people who came to celebrate with her.  She is blessed to have so many wonderful people in her life.  Her party guests ranged in age from 99 years old to a newborn baby!

Tidy Mom

Comments

I love the typewriter idea…it all looks lovely and like such a fun party. I’m going to file this away for my daughter’s graduation (in a few years:)).

2. Tamara says

What a super party for a wonderful graduate. I’ve just showed grandma all the fun pictures and rejoiced with her. CONGRATS on your GRADUATION, dear Tessa. We’re proud of you!

This is such a cute party! Just out of curiosity, did you make sure there were enough bottles for each guest? And did you display them all? Or did you start using regular cups?

I also had clear plastic cups for those who wanted water or might not want to drink out of the bottles but everyone loved the bottles and I ended up having to wash some (my mom helped) during the party. I think I have a total of about 50 bottles but could definitely have used more but it worked just find washing some out during the party.

4. Lynne says

The cookies looked so yummy! I love everything about the decorations! You know how to throw a party, that’s for sure!

5. Holly says

My first-born doesn’t graduate for another 6 years, but I am going to print this out somewhere for his party! Or my daughter’s 3 years later. I love this, especially all the decor. What a perfectly fitting decor for your classic daughter! And I love the bottle holder; it looks like something milkmen may have used?

6. Heidi says

Leigh Anne,

I love to read you blog and see all your clever ideas!!!! This party was by far my favorite!!!!! I think I may have to get me some of those bottles for cookies and milk with my own kiddos. Could I ask a random question? I love your wall color and find it to be perfect shade of yellow. Would you mind sharing???? Congrats to Tessa and your family! Heidi

7. Ellen says

Everything you share with us amazes me. You amaze me!!! You get better and better and better. How can you top this one? You’re an impossible act to follow but I’m gonna have fun trying with this party. And…..”GARNISH”…..my new favorite blog site. I think I say this daily but really…….thank you for sharing this one, so fun. I know you said the bottles were used frap drinks, don’t those have printing on them. Were did you get the clear ones? Oh my!!!!!!……where do you store it all? Love it all, thanks again Leigh Anne

• Cindi says

I was also wondering if the printing washes off or peels off (if it’s a label). I’d rather have the bottles clear.

Leigh Anne your ideas are absolutely wonderful!! Thanks for yet another fun one!

BYU is my alma mater…this brings back a lot of fun memories! Now I’m an empty nester!

Absolutely darling! As a BYU grad myself a HUGE congrats! You are going to have the time of your life! I would love to feature this party on my blog. Please contact me if that is something you are interested in!

9. Renee S. says

What a wonderful, wonderful party! Your ideas never cease to amaze me!! I am sure that Tessa feels very loved. Three more years from now I will be returning to your graduation party ideas as I will be planning one of my own. I already get choked up thinking about it.

We have had a chalkboar in our bathroom which is referred to our communication station. We love it…and our guests level messages on it which is really fun…but I think the teenagers like it best.

11. lindagerig says

what a wonderful party. Everyone loves cookies. is the recipe for the almond sugar cookie on your site? would love them all. Linda Gerig

12. Lyndsey says

I love this!! Was there a label on the bottles? If so, what did you do to get it off? Thanks for sharing this!

I soaked the bottles in warm water and the label came off fairly easily but it did leave the gooey layer on the bottle. I used Goof Off to get that off and then ran them through the dishwasher.

• Lyndsey says

Thank you so much for reply! My husband is graduating with his masters in special ed and I want to do a smart cookie party for him:) I just love your blog and I am trying your baked oatmeal recipe next week:) Hope you have a great weekend!

13. Jennifer K says

I love your blog! Thanks so much for sharing all of your fabulous ideas! FYI, I have a very handsome son named Stephen who just graduated too and will be attending BYU this fall…….Who knows, maybe your daughter and my son’s paths will cross!!

Hi Leigh Ann! I just adore your blog! I loved all of the pictures and details of this party! I think the bottle idea is too cute, and I’m going to use it at my son’s upcoming birthday party. I read how you got the labels off of the bottles, but how did you get the imprinted dates off? Thank you so much! Have a wonderful day!

Not sure what imprinted date you are talking about. I don’t see one on my bottles?? It may have come off in the dishwasher. A friend washed them for me.

15. Nicolle Nascimento says

Leigh Anne,

Corrin Keeler turned me on to yur blog last week and I so love it! I too just had a graduate from Westview, Nick Nascimento. I used two of your receipes for the mini cupcakes the oreo and the lemon cupcake. I changed the oreo cupcake a little and just made the small cupake and added a mini oreo cookie. I also photo shoped a pic of my son and his best friend wearing there grad cap and added there photo’s to toothpicks and stuck them in the cupcakes. I think you might like the it…they are posted on my facebook if you are interested in seeing them. Anyway thanks for the great receipes and inspiration. Love your “smart cookie” party….how fun! =D
    Nicolle Nascimento

Nicole, So glad Corrin shared my blog with you! I love the idea of putting their photo on the cupcake – I’ll friend you on Facebook so I can take a look. Be sure and “like” my Your Homebased Mom facebook page too!

Thank you so much for getting back with me, Leigh Ann! Hopefully the date will come off in the dishwasher. If not, I picked up the Target brand today, and theirs is just a peel off label. Either way, I’m excited to use the bottles. Such a cute idea! Oh, and I love the latest Italian Cream Soda party! You are so creative! Thanks again! Have a great day!

17. Jani says

I adore this party! It is perfect. I also love your daughter’s dress and wonder if you might share where you purchased it. Or perhaps if it is handmade, what is the pattern number? Thank you!

18. connie munoz says

I am so glad i found you on facebook i have so enjoyed your blog….i look forward to your posts….thank you for taking the time and doing this..much appreciated…great blog

19. Shaylyce Lacy says

Super CLAssIC idea!! wondering about your super creative chalkboards…have been wanting to create large and small ones for awhile for the kitchen and kids’ rooms (and NOW bathroom!)…any ideas of how to get started??
    thanks from west texas!

20. Jennifer Robinson says

I was so sad because my son is graduating high school in May and leaving for the Army in June so I started looking for party ideas beacuse I am a “party thrower!” This party is perfect and you have thought of everything!!! I LOVE THIS, it fits him to a “T” GREAT JOB! If I think of anything I’l let you know…thank you for turning my sadness because he is graduating and moving away into a happiness because this is going to be one great Graduation Party!!!

21. Peggy says

LOVE everything about this idea and your blog!! My daughter is graduating in May and I am borrowing as many ideas from you as I can create! She grew up on “Grandma’s cookies” so this is so fitting for her! Thanks for sharing.

I am not a big fan of making cookies ahead and freezing them although it can be done. I just don’t think they ever taste as good as freshly baked that day. I enlisted the help of friends to help me bake so they were all made that day or the day before.

Oh my goodness, I am finding this a few years after you originally posted it, but HOLY CUTE! My oldest is graduating in two years, I may need to start drinking Frappuccinos. She hates cake (so do I) so this would be a perfect dessert area for her party. If you don’t mind, I am going to totally steal your ideas for cookies, milk bottles and the typewriter. I have a super old electric one, but now need to search for an even older one. Soooo cute, thank you for sharing.

Michelle @ http://www.grandmaagnesattic.blogspot.com