It may or may not surprise you to know that for the majority of my life I have been a ”plain jane” when it comes to eating. I like cheese pizza, vanilla ice cream and ketchup only on my hamburger. Since I entered the food blogging world though I have learned to expand my flavor palate. I’ve had some fun lately branching out of my seasoning/flavor comfort zone and experimenting with some more international flavors. (At least more than Mexican and Italian!!) I am a total Thai fan now with Thai Coconut Chicken Soup , I loved the flavor and texture of Ginger Sesame Chicken Salad and loved the flavor in Middle Eastern Beef Gyro For today’s recipe we’re headed to Greece with this yummy Greek Pork.
The pork is done in the slow cooker and then shredded and can then be used for all kinds of fun things. I decided to make a pita sandwich with it and combine it with some yogurt sauce and fresh tomatoes. So good.
The process is easy. In addition to your pork (I used pork carnitas but a pork shoulder or pork tenderloin would work great too) all you need is some Greek seasoning and some Greek Peperoncini. If you have a store bought Greek seasoning mix you can totally use that but I made my own with majoram, oregano, thyme, basil, marjoram, onion and garlic.
It all gets put in the crock pot together (including the juice from the peppers) and then you leave it alone to cook – on high for about 4 hours or low for 6-8.
When the pork will easily pull apart it’s done! I shred the meat right in the crock pot in all that lovely juice and then after shredding allow it to cook for about 15 minutes or so. Then it’s ready to eat!
While the pork is cooking mix up your yogurt sauce and let it sit in the refrigerator for several hours or even over night. The flavor gets better as it sits. The yogurt sauce is a combination of plain Greek yogurt, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, cucumber, green onion, garlic, lemon zest and salt and pepper.
Then everything is ready to pile into your pita bread and then top it with some fresh chopped tomato!
For some other yummy International flavors try:
- 2-3 lb. pork (carnitas, shoulder or tenderloin)
- 2 Tbsp Greek Seasoning(see below)
- 1 - 16 oz. jar of pepperoncini peppers
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried marjoram
- 1/2 tsp dried minced onion
- 1/2 tsp dried minced garlic
- 2 C plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Place pork, seasoning and peppers along with the juice into slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6-8 or until pork pulls apart easily.
- Combine all seasonings together
- Stir together yogurt, vinegar, lemon juice, cucumber, green onion, garlic, oregano, lemon zest, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Cover and chill for several hours or overnight.
- Serve with pita bread or over rice.