Me and my slow cooker or should that be my slow cooker and I have a thing going! I’m in love.
As I’ve mentioned before I was late to embrace the slow cooker but now that I have that baby has taken up permanent residency on my counter. I’m cooking in it at least once or twice a week.
We are big into food carts here in the Portland area and one of our favorite things to get at a food cart is a “street” taco. Today’s recipe makes great “street” tacos! It can also be used for lots of other yummy things and eaten just as it is too.
Love me a recipe that will transform into all kinds of yummy things.
You can cook up a big pot full of this Cuban Beef, shred it up and then freeze it too and have a nice little supply of meals when you need them.
This recipe has great flavor thanks to the cumin, orange juice and lime juice and zest that is in it. I used a beef chuck roast and 2 cups of water let it cook for about 6-7 hours on low in my slow cooker. The original recipe which I found over at Cook’s Illustrated uses a stovetop method but I’ve got that thing going with my slow cooker.
After the meat was tender and falling apart I shredded it. One of the things I love most about this recipe is the crisp exterior that forms when you cook it in a pan with some garlic after shredding it. You get a crispy exterior but moist interior.
After frying it with the garlic add in the juice mixture and some onion.
When we make our street tacos I like to use the smaller corn tortillas you can find in most grocery stores. They are about 4 inches in diameter or so. Street tacos always use double tortillas.
We topped our tacos with some fresh pico de gallo and avocado. A little cilantro is always nice too.
Recipe adapted from: Cooks Illustrated
Other yummy tacos we like:
For a list of where I Link Up each week go here
- 2 lbs. boneless chuck roast
- 2 C water
- salt and pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 1/2 tsp canola oil, divided
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 2 Tbsp fresh orange juice
- 1 1/2 tsp grated lime zest
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 C water
- Place roast, 2 C water and salt and pepper into slow cooker and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until meat falls apart and shred easily.
- Shred beef.
- Combine garlic, oil and cumin in bowl.
- Combine juice and zest in another bowl.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in skillet on high.
- Add onion and 1/4 tsp salt and cook until onions are golden brown.
- Add in 1/2 C water over onions and cook until liquid evaporates.
- Remove onions from pan.
- Add in 1 1/2 tsp oil into pan and heat
- Add beef and cook until edges are crisp, about 2-4 minutes
- Reduce heat and move meat to edges of pan and add in garlic mixture in the center, stir and cook until fragrant and golden brown, about a minute or so.
- Remove from heat and add in juice mixture and onion.
- Stir to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.