Why is it that when the weather changes, the weather gets cooler and the furnace turns out that I start craving comfort food? I’ve pulled out the flannel jammies and started drinking pumpkin steamers so it must be Fall and time for comfort food.
If there is one food that screams COMFORT FOOD to me it is Chicken & Dumplings.
We love it at our house and I first shared a recipe for Chicken & Dumplings with you here.
Today’s version is a little bit different and easier! It is made in a crock pot or a slow cooker. Just get it going first thing in the morning and you’ve got a delicious dinner waiting for you that night.
It cooks on low for 6 hours and I started with frozen chicken. Just popped it in the slow cooker with some seasoning and butter. I then covered it with a combo of cream of chicken, cream of celery and chicken broth and let it cook away all day.
You want to cook it until your chicken is nice and tender but not over cooked. Use a couple of forks and shred the chicken right in the pot. I then added in the frozen vegetables and topped it with the dumplings. The dumplings are a combination of Bisquick milk and sour cream. Keep them small so they cook all the way through. I dropped the dough by the Tablespoon on top of the chicken mixture. Then cover and allow to cook for another hour to an hour and a half.
Once the biscuits are cooked through it is ready to enjoy! Pure Comfort Food!!
I garnished mine with a little bit of chopped chives to pretty it up a bit.
Perfect for a cold Fall or Winter night!
For some other comfort food recipes check out these:
For a list of where I Link Up each week go here
- 4 skinless, boneless frozen chicken breasts
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground thyme
- 1 tsp marjoram
- salt & pepper
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can cream of chicken and cream of celery
- 1 can (10.75 ounce) chicken broth
- 2 C frozen carrots and peas
- 1 C Bisquick
- ⅓ C milk
- ¼ C sour cream
- Place frozen chicken, butter and seasoning into crock pot.
- Mix together soups and pour over chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Shred chicken in the pot and add in frozen vegetables
- Mix together Bisquick milk and sour cream
- Drop dumpling by tablespoon on top of chicken mixture
- Cover and cook on high for 1 - 1½ hours until dumpling is cooked through.