I have always loved tomato soup. Growing up my favorite lunch and sometimes dinner was a bowl tomato soup and of course it was always accompanied by a grilled cheese sandwich. We didn’t have a lunch room at my elementary school so I walked home for lunch every day and many times I came home to a bowl of tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich. It always tasted wonderful, especially when I had to walk home through 10 feet of snow for blocks. (at least that is what I use to tell my kids!)
That tomato soup always came out of a can. And I loved it.
I have shared several tomato soup recipes with you before (see below). Some of them use fresh tomatoes and others canned tomatoes. But sometimes when you’ve got that craving for tomato soup and you don’t have a lot of time you just need to open a can of tomato soup!
Today I want to show you how you can easily do that and just dress it up a bit so it doesn’t taste like you are eating tomato soup straight out of a can.
To dress up the soup I sauteed some onions in olive oil, added in the soup mixed with a can of milk (you can also use water). I then dressed it up with some dried basil, rosemary and some Parmesan Cheese. So yummy and of course I served it with a grilled cheese sandwich! No one will know it came out of a can.
For other yummy tomato soup recipes try these:
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1/4 C chopped onion
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
- 1 can milk or water
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook and stir onion and garlic until onion is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add in tomato soup and milk and bring to a boil.
- Add Parmesan cheese, basil, and rosemary.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes more.
Recipe adapted from allrecipes.com
For a list of where I Link Up each week go here