Peppermint Ice Cream

ice cream

So I have developed quite a love affair with peppermint this holiday season.  I blame it on those white chocolate peppermint M & M’s.  They got me started and I can’t seem to stop.

When my husband was a kid they had a family tradition on New Years of making peppermint ice cream with all the leftover candy canes.  I like that kind of tradition.

Tillamook Peppermint Candy Ice Cream is or should I say WAS one of my favorites.  This summer I discovered that Tillamook has discontinued Peppermint.  I almost cried right there in front of the gal at the Tillamook Cheese Factory.  How was I going to survive?

I decided I was going to survive and I wasn’t going to have to wait until New Year’s to enjoy peppermint ice cream.   So I dug in the back of my cupboard and found half a box of candy canes leftover from last Christmas and I made myself some peppermint ice cream.  Who needs Tillamook!!

This ice cream is amazing.  Unfortunately for me my husband loves it too which means I have to share!

Not only is it delicious but it is darn pretty too -don’t you think!?  The ice cream uses a combination of peppermint flavoring (either extract or Torani’s syrup) and lots of crushed up candy cane.

The pretty pink color comes from the candy canes dissolving into the ice cream as it churns.  You end up with a few pieces though that don’t dissolve so you get a nice little candy crunch in the ice cream too.

Enjoy!

You can also visit me on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter or Instagram.

Peppermint Ice Cream

Yield: 2 qts.

• 1 1/2 C whole milk
  • 1 1/2 C half and half
  • 2 C whipping cream
  • 1 1/4 C sugar
  • 1 Tbsp vanilla
  • 1 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 C crushed peppermint candy

• Mix together milks.
  • Add in sugar, salt, vanilla and peppermint
  • Stir until sugar is dissolved
  • Pour into ice cream maker and add in crushed candy cane.
  • Process

Shared at:Fireflies & Jellybeans*36th Avenue*House of Hepworth*Sweet Treats Thursday*Creative Thursday*Showcase Your Talent Thursday*Lil Luna*Fantabulous Friday*

TidyMom*Cupcake Garden*Whipperberry**Tater Tots & Jello*Strut Your Stuff*Sweet Treats & Swanky Stuff*Saturday Show & Tell*I Heart Nap Time*Nifty Thrifty things*

Chef in Training **Sugar Bee Crafts   **

Comments

Teri says:

This sounds yummy! How much sugar does it call for?

CherylP says:

This looks SOOO good! I love peppermint ice cream! And a nice homemade rich fudge sauce would be perfect over the top of this! :D

Simplee Sue says:

This sounds and looks so mmmmm. Pinned it. Thank you for sharing.

We may have met by chance…but we become friends by choice.

Tamara H. says:

Thanks for reminding me of a fun tradition we had. . . . . .Had totally forgotten about the peppermint ice cream. Appreciate your emphasis on family traditions and keeping those alive.

Lauren says:

I don’t have any half and half, is there an adjustment I could make to the milk or cream amounts instead?

Wanda Ann says:

This ice cream looks so delicious. I saw you at The36thAvenue link party and had to come get the recipe. Your blog is so cute.
    I would love for you to visit me at memoriesbythemile.com
    Wanda Ann

Holly says:

Oh my! Cannot wait to try this! I may have to drizzle some chocolate syrup over mine though! Thanks for sharing Ü

This looks so amazing! I’ve never had peppermint ice cream but I know it would be delicious :) Pinning! Saw your link at 36th Avenue – thanks for sharing!

Krista Johnston says:

I was wondering what model of ice cream maker you use? I’m looking at them online but there are so many mixed reviews…your ice cream looks PERFECT!

So cute dessert! Looks so yummy! I adore the color also! Thank you shared at my link party!

Anne Kimball says:

Hi Leigh Anne, I’m Anne from Life on the Funny Farm (http://annesfunnyfarm.blogspot.com), and I’m visiting from Fantabulous Friday.

This looks SO amazingly good! I’m like you, I love peppermint. Dairy Queen has a chocolate chip peppermint blizzard that is to DIE for. I am pinning this!

Anyway, thanks for posting this. If you’ve never visited yet, I hope you can pop by my blog sometime to say hi…

This looks absolutly divine! Like heaven in a bowl! Thank you for sharing.
    -liZ

tanya says:

Peppermint ice cream is my absolute favorite flavor!!! After the holidays, I’m always left wondering why I don’t eat it more often?? With this recipe I could eat it all the time! I always have leftover candy canes!

Jenn says:

OH yummy!

Hi Leigh Ann, This looks absolutely fantastic, I love the colour of the ice cream and the added crunch on the top! If you don’t mind, I’d love if you would stop by and share these and any other dessert creations on Sugar & Slice Sunday weekly link party.

Patti says:

Congrats on making Ziplist’s top 12 recipes with this one! Wow, this looks awesome.

The peppermint bug has got me too! Glad to have seen this over at Sugar and Slice. Your website is just lovely and your pictures fantastic! Take care!

I love buying the store bought version of this at Publix but I can’t wait to make it at home!

Oh my gosh, I love this! Pinned!

Crunchy Diva says:

Peppermint ice cream is one of my favorite things about the Christmas season! I love that you posted this recipe. I’m going to gain ten pounds before New Year’s, I just know it. Found you thru Nifty Thrifty Things!

My Favorite Cake is Peppermint Angel Food Peppermint Ice Cream Cake that my Mom made every year. I think the addition of the homemade ice cream will take it to the next level! I would love to have you come over and link up to my new Linky Party “Show Me Your Plaid Monday’s”

Kristin says:

YUM! YUM! YUM! I need some of that stat! Great recipe and blog! Visiting from Sugar Bee
    Kristin recently posted..52 Projects/52 Weeks :: Week 2 :: DIY Sunburst Mirror $26

I can not wait to make this!!! Growing up I used to have peppermint ice cream with a scoop of cookies n cream. I can never find peppermint ice cream as much as I’d like. Perfect!!! :) Thanks for sharing with us over at Real Housemoms for Fabulous Fridays!
    Aubrey @ Real Housemoms recently posted..Cranberry-Glazed Ham

This icecream looks so pretty and I’m dying to get a taste. Will definitely have to make some :D

Oooh, yummy! I adore peppermint and have recently been trying a lot of ice cream recipes. This one looks awesome, and you don’t even have to cook the mixture on the stove first! Will definitely make ASAP.
    Cheese with Noodles recently posted..Olive and Caper Tomato Sauce

Anne Marie says:

Oh. My. Gosh. I am drooling at these photos! I must make this ASAP!!!! thanks for sharing!!!