The main reason I eat pancakes is so that I can have syrup. Is there any other reason?
We always serve pancakes at our annual Breakfast with Santa. Usually we have the choice of homemade jam, maple syrup or homemade cinnamon syrup. This year I added a few more choices to the syrup menu.
In addition to the hot chocolate bar we also had a syrup bar with four choices of syrup! Of course there was the traditional maple syrup.
Cinnamon syrup, our family favorite is always popular.
- 1 C sugar
- 1/2 C light corn syrup
- 1/4 C water
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 C whipping cream
- In medium saucepan, stir all ingredients together EXCEPT cream
- Stirring constantly, bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil 2 minutes
- Remove from heat, stir in cream
- Cool 30 minutes
- Syrup will thicken as it cools
- Serve warm
A recent new discovery and quickly becoming a family favorite is Coconut Syrup. I don’t like coconut at all but this syrup is so yummy! Trust me, even if you don’t like coconut you are going to like this syrup!! Thanks to The Sister’s Cafe for introducing it to us!
- 7-8 Tbsp butter
- ¾ C buttermilk
- 1 C sugar
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- Place butter, buttermilk and sugar in a pot
- With stove on medium stir until butter melts and sugar dissolves
- Bring to a boil and boil one minute
- Remove from heat and add baking soda and flavoring
- It will bubble up; just continue to stir and give it a few minutes for the 'fizz' to reduce before serving
For the third choice I wanted something with berries. I did a little searching around and found this recipe for Merry Berry Raspberry Syrup over at Real Mom Kitchen. I think the kid’s liked this one the best. The recipe calls for raspberries and blueberries. I only used raspberries because that’s what I had in my freezer but think it would be wonderful with blueberries too!
- 1 2/3 C water
- 2/3 C sugar
- 2 Tbsp. corn syrup
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 3 oz. pkg. raspberry gelatin mix
- 8 oz. frozen raspberries, thawed
- 8 oz frozen blueberries, thawed
- Stir together water, sugar, corn syrup, and cornstarch in a 2 qt sauce pan
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens
- Remove saucepan from heat and stir in gelatin until dissolved
- Fold in raspberries and blueberries; gently stir
- Serve over pancakes or waffles
What is your favorite thing to put on pancakes?? Please leave a comment and let me know!