Mexican Rice

We eat a lot of Mexican food at our house.

We love:

Fabulous Fajitas

Cafe Rio Pork

Costa Vida Chicken

Bajio Chicken Chile Salad

We also eat a lot of rice at our house, especially with Mexican food.  One of my favorite rice recipes is for Lime Cilantro Rice.

I also love the red rice you get in most Mexican restaurants.  The only problem is I haven’t been able to find a recipe for that type of rice that I really like.  I usually end up going to our local neighborhood Mexican restaurant and buying rice to go with what I am fixing for dinner.

Recently, my friend Sherra’s twin girls graduated from high school.  They had a taco bar for their graduation party and Sherra told me about her friend Ann’s Mexican rice recipe she was making.  Of course I asked for the recipe!

We had fabulous fajitas for dinner last night so I tried out the rice recipe.

I commented at the dinner table that I thought it tasted just as good as the rice we get from our favorite Mexican restaurant – one of the kids said “It’s better!!”

So I think I finally have found a Mexican rice recipe!  Enjoy!

mexcan rice - Page 314

Mexican Rice

• 2 Tbsp Olive oil or vegetable oil
  • 1 C long grain white rice
  • 2 C chicken broth
  • 1 small can tomato juice
  • salt and pepper

• Heat oil in a skillet
  • Add the rice
  • Stir frequently and slightly brown the rice (more like, make it tan) over a medium high heat
  • Add the chicken broth
  • Add the tomato juice
  • Add some salt and pepper
  • Stir thoroughly
  • Reduce heat to simmer and cover tightly with a lid
  • (I 'stir' the mixture several times while it's cooking by just shaking/moving the skillet back and forth so that I don't take the lid off.)
  • Simmer/cook for about 20 minutes, until the liquid has been absorbed
  • Once the liquid has been absorbed, turn off the heat and leave mixture alone with the lid on it for another 10-15 minutes or so

Comments

Thanks for your site! I am constantly marking recipes to try.

This sounds yummy and we’ll try it soon. But thought I’d also share our mexican rice recipe since it’s so easy…

Replace some of the water for rice with red enchilada sauce (your own proportions). Then make your rice as normal.

Simple. Yummy. Works especially great when I’m making enchiladas with the sauce too.

2. Tamara Reber says

My “To try” file is getting larger and larger by the day. In only 10 days I’ll be married and in 3 weeks I can start making some of your yummy creations. Hugs and thanks for all the work to share with us.

3. Angie says

I have a recipe for Mexican rice which is a lot like yours except for the tomato juice you add salsa (I use Pace picante).

1 C. rice
    2 T. butter
    Saute together until golden. Add 1 3/4 c. hot water and 3/4 c. Salsa. Stir, bring to boil, turn to simmer, add lid and cook for 20 minutes until done.

4. Melissa Y. says

We do a lot of rice in my family. My kids love what we have dubbed Stewed tomato rice,
    One cup stewed tomatoes, (squished)
    One cup water or chicken broth,
    One cup brown rice,
    Cover slightly in microwave safe bowl, cook 30 mintutes in microwave, fluff with fork & add 2 tblsp butter.

I just recently found your site — immediately added it to my Reader. Love it!

I made this rice, along with the Costa Vida Chicken. So good! I’m linking to both recipes from my blog. Thanks!

6. Stephanie says

When a recipe calls for both chicken broth and some kind of tomato ingredient (sauce, juice, etc.), I substitute Knorr Tomato Bouillon with Chicken Flavor. I use 1 tsp. bouillon in 1 cup water for each cup of broth. It works really well in my Mexican Rice.

7. Angela says

I made this for me and my teenage daughter(who is so picky, actually went for seconds) and we loved it!!! I have tried other recipes, but this is the best. The only thing I changed is adding cumin, garlic salt and using Maggi chicken and tomato bouillon in the place of chicken broth and tomato sauce. But still, your recipe was the best that I have tried. Thank you for sharing!!!

8. Rocio says

Skip the tomato juice just use knorr. Thats what mexican use we blend tknorr buillons with water tomato onion and.somw.garlic.

1. [...] big pot of Kalua Pork/Pork Carnitas already made.  They made some homemade flour tortillas, salsa, Mexican rice and some unfried fried ice cream and we had a pretty amazing Mexican meal in about an hour and a [...]