In fact, not only have I learned to enjoy it as a salad/side dish but I have also discovered the yumminess of topping my burger or pulled pork sandwich with cole slaw.
I love the crisp texture of the cabbage and I also love how relatively easy it is to put together. It especially makes a nice addition to a Mexican themed dinner when you add a little kick to it.
This Mexican Cole Slaw also fits the pretty and delicious criteria since it uses green and red cabbage.
The addition of some green onion, lime and cilantro gives it that Mexican flavor.
The kick comes in the dressing with the addition of hot sauce or Tabasco sauce. You can choose your hot sauce of choice and also your level of kick by the amount you put it.
I especially liked the Mexican Cole Slaw as a side dish for the Brisket Tacos with Mango BBQ Sauce I made in the crock pot last week.
As you know, I recently attended Blogher Food in Seattle and one of the best parts of the conference was meeting new bloggers and their blogs! Today’s recipe is one I found over at Kalyn’s Kitchen – a new blogger friend I made at Blogher Food. Kalyn’s got lots of great healthy recipes that are perfect for the South Beach Diet.
- 3 C thinly sliced green cabbage
- 3 C thinly sliced red cabbage
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- 1/2 C cilantro chopped
- 4 T mayo
- 3 T fresh lime juice
- hot sauce or Tabasco sauce to taste
- salt to taste
- Thinly slice cabbage.
- Slice green onions and chop cilantro
- Combine cabbage, green onions and cilantro in large bowl.
- In a small bowl combine mayo, lime juice and hot sauce. Taste as you go
- Add dressing to cabbage mixture and stir.
- Season to taste with salt and serve immediately.
- May chill for a few hours.
- This salad will keep overnight in the refrigerator but the red cabbage will bleed causing the salad to turn slightly pink.
- Recipe from Kalyn's Kitchen
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my ebook! Do you think your friends would love this too? Please share my blog with them. Thanks!