I am going to kick off our Lovely Lemon series of posts with a recipe I found over at How to be a Domestic Goddess.
I loved these lemon shortbread bars and I think I could have eaten the entire pan myself. It is a good thing I cut the recipe in half or I would have been in trouble!!
But first I have a photo of the Lovely Lemon Giveaway items. My two favorite kitchen tools to use when working with lemons!
A microplane is essential for any recipe calling for lemon rind! And then a lemon squeezer – perfect for getting every little bit of juice out of that lemon!!
So if you haven’t entered the giveaway yet – there is still time. Just email me your favorite lemon recipe by clicking on the contact link above and then go back to the Giveaway post – here - and leave me a comment letting me know you sent me a recipe. Easy! You have until Friday night to do it!
I have so many amazing lemon recipes arriving in my inbox daily! I love it. I bought my big bag of lemons today and I am ready to get baking and cooking! Can’t wait to share some of the recipes with you.
Now for the lemon shortbread recipe. These would be a perfect addition to any cookie plate or tea party but please don’t wait until the holidays to try them. They are too good for that!
- 4½ C all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 C granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. fresh grated lemon zest
- 1 pound (4 sticks or 32 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ C fresh lemon juice
- 1 C confectioners sugar
- 2 Tbsp. butter, softened
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. fresh grated lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, add sugar and zest - use your fingers to massage the zest into the sugar until very fragrant and combine.
- Add butter and beat mixture together until smooth.
- Add juice and mix until combined and creamy, making sure to scrape down the sides as needed. Add flour mixture and beat just until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Scoop mixture into a 10" x 15" baking pan coated with nonstick spray.
- Place into the oven and bake until the top is lightly golden, about 25 to 35 minutes.
- Remove and place pan on a wire rack to cool completely
- In a small bowl, whisk together confectioners' sugar, butter and lemon juice until smooth.
- Spread glaze over the cooled shortbread and sprinkle with lemon zest, if desired.
- Set aside and let stand at least 30 minutes before cutting.
- Makes about 40 cookies.