If you have followed my blog for any length of time you know what a lemon fan I am and these lemon rolls have moved up to the top of my list of favorite lemon recipes!
Now that the “red and chocolate season” is over and I’ve h ad enough of “green and mint season” I officially declare it “lemon season”. As far as I am concerned, it is always lemon season and I look for every opportunity I can to use lemons. Lemons make me happy. Today’s recipe is perfect for the upcoming Easter season or as far as I am concerned, any season.
The best part of this recipe is how it tastes – full of lovely lemon flavor. The second best part is how easy the recipe is! It uses frozen roll dough! I actually found this recipe over at the Rhodes website and it was love at first site and first taste! After I made them, my husband tried them and loved them too. I had boxed up some for him to take over to the neighbors and after tasting them he added more to the box. Not because he didn’t like them but because he loved them and he knew he would be way to tempted to eat them all. I have to say when I saw how few were left and what he had done I was a little miffed at him because there were only a few left! Guess I’ll just have to make them again.
I used Rhodes frozen rolls but if you can’t find that brand use what is available or if you are feeling energetic you can totally make your own roll dough.
The first step is to mix together the yummy sugar and lemon mixture that you will sprinkle all over the top.
I let the frozen rolls sit out for a couple of hours. You want the partially thawed but still cold. I then cut them in half and layered them into my pan and covered them with butter!
Then sprinkle it with half the lemon sugar mixture. Don’t worry, you’ll be add the rest of it later.
Aren’t they pretty!? They will look perfect sitting on your brunch or breakfast table.
I couldn’t let them cool and I dug into them right away. I wasn’t sorry. The sugar creates a nice crunch, lemony texture on top and the inside of the roll is soft and sweet.
Make these lemon rolls now! Thank me later.
I can’t live without my cast iron skillet! One of my favorite kitchen items!
- 12 frozen dinner rolls, thawed but still cold
- zest from 2 whole lemons
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Mix lemon zest with sugar.
- Cut rolls in half and place in a 12-inch sprayed deep dish pizza pan or 9x13-inch sprayed baking pan.
- Drizzle ¼ cup melted butter over rolls.
- Sprinkle with lemon zest/sugar mixture, reserving ½ of mixture to sprinkle on just before baking.
- Cover with sprayed plastic wrap. Let rise until double in size.
- Remove wrap. Sprinkle on remaining mixture.
- Bake at 350°F 20-25 minutes. Remove immediately from pan and place on cooling rack.
- Combine glaze ingredients and mix well. Drizzle over pull-aparts.
Recipe from Rhodes Bread