I’ve been on a pancake kick lately.
There were these yummy and healthy Oatmeal Pancakes.
And some lovely strawberry topped Swedish Pancakes.
Tessa’s favorite pancake to make are her Yellow Pancakes.
And remember Pioneer Women’s light and fluffy Sour Cream Pancakes
But sometimes you just want a good old Buttermilk Pancake.
Lately I have been playing around with flavored pancakes. Last week it was lemon. Yes, lovely lemon pancakes!
I found the lemon pancake recipe over at Two Peas and their Pod. The recipe calls for whole wheat flour which can make a pancake a little heavy but thanks to some cottage cheese and egg whites these pancakes are light and fluffy just like a pancake should be! I used a small curd cottage cheese because the large curd stuff just freaks me out a bit. I don’t eat cottage cheese (texture issues) but I don’t mind it in things as long as I don’t see it! The small curd blends in better!!
I thought they looked a little naked though so I added some blueberry compote. The lemon flavor in the pancake is subtle, not too strong but it’s there.
I think orange pancakes are next….
Lemon Pancakes with Blueberry Compote
- 1/2 C whole wheat flour
- 1/4 C all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
- Zest of a large lemon
- 2/3 C skim milk
- 3/4 C low fat cottage cheese
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 1/2 C frozen blueberries thawed
- 1/3 C sugar
- 1/3 C water
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt
- In a small bowl, mix together the sugar and lemon zest with your fingers
- This will bring out the lemon flavor
- Add the sugar and lemon to the dry ingredients
- Whisk again
- Add the milk, cottage cheese, egg whites, vanilla extract and fresh lemon juice into a bowl
- Whisk until smooth
- The cottage cheese will still be somewhat lumpy and that is o.k.
- Add this mixture to the dry ingredients
- Stir until combined
- The batter will be lumpy
- Heat a large nonstick skillet or griddle
- Spray with cooking spray
- Add about 1/4 C of batter to pan
- Cook for a couple of minutes
- You want to see bubbles all over the pancake
- Flip and cook other side a few more minutes
- Makes 6-8 pancakes depending on size
- Serve with blueberry compote
- Combine berries, sugar and 1/3 C water to heavy small saucepan
- Simmer over medium heat until berries burst, stirring often, about 10 minutes
- Add remaining cup of berries
- Cook until compote coats spoon, stirring often
- About 8 minutes
- Can be made ahead of time and refrigerated
- Serve warm
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my ebook! Do you think your friends would love this too? Please share my blog with them. Thanks!