Ice Cream Sandwich Bar

I hope you all enjoyed a fun holiday weekend!

Our Fourth started out with church and then a fun cul de sac party/BBQ.  I decided to put together an ice cream sandwich bar for part of the dessert.  I think I had as much fun putting it together as the neighborhood kids did eating it.

Fourth of July

I baked up 3 different batches of cookies and my neighbor Katie provided a batch too.

There were Oatmeal Crispies.

and Chocolate Chip Cookies

Fourth of July

My neighbor Katie provided a batch of chocolate Whoopie cookies – yum!

Fourth of July

and there were Peanut Butter cookies too but I didn’t get a picture of them.

Then there were four different types of ice cream.  I scooped the ice cream ahead of time and froze the scoops on a cookie sheet.  It made it much easier to serve than trying to scoop ice cream during the party.  We had vanilla, strawberry, mint chocolate chip, and Udderly Chocolate, our family favorite from Tillamook Ice Cream.

Fourth of July

So they chose two cookies and their favorite flavor ice cream to make an ice cream sandwich.  It was fun to see what combinations they came up with.

Fourth of July

And then the fun part.  They got to roll the edges of their ice cream sandwich in the different toppings.  We had mini chocolate chips, mini M & M’s, rainbow sprinkles and crushed Oreo cookie.

Fourth of July

I provided ice cream cones too for those who didn’t want to make a sandwich.  The kids and adults had a great time making their own ice cream sandwich!

Fourth of July

But of course the best part was eating them!!

Fourth of July

I think the kids would agree that making and eating your own ice cream sandwich is almost as fun as shooting off the neighbor’s potato gun!

Fourth of July

Here are my two cute patriotic girls!
Fourth of July

And I was there too but this is where you usually find me, if it’s not in the kitchen, behind the camera.  Thanks  Katie for snapping this photo!

Fourth of July

Putting together an ice cream sandwich bar is easy and fun and it could be adapted for any holiday.  It would make a very fun addition to a birthday party too!   You could pick ice cream flavors and toppings  to match your color scheme.  Ooh…. the possibilities are endless.  I can’t wait to do another one.  Anyone have a birthday coming up???

Enjoy!

Comments

1. Lorie says

What a wonderful idea! You always come up with the cutest food “stations”. It gives me great ideas…even though it can’t compete with yours. Thank you for sharing your creativity and talent!

2. Melanie says

You have the most amazing ideas, and you make everything so darling with all the labels, etc. LOVE your website! Pre-scooping the ice cream was such a great idea, but I was wondering how they could possibly last just sitting out in a bowl on the 4th of July. Then I realized a lot of you were wearing sweaters and even a jacket!!! Summer is very different here in North Mississippi! That party would have had to be held indoors for the ice cream to last at all.

We can see the peanut butter cookies from the photo with the ice cream scoops! I’m also wondering how you kept the ice cream from melting into puddles too quickly!

They froze pretty hard in the freezer and then you may notice is some of the pictures we are wearing sweaters and jackets! We had a rather cool Fourth of July. I was tempted to serve hot chocolate!!

4. Valerie H. says

Leigh Anne~ I just love your ice cream sandwich bar!!! I am sure your neighbors will always remember how fun and special that BBQ was. Love is in the details and you never disapoint! The pictures are great and reflect the joy that was felt that day.

5. Diana Rose Hubbard says

Absolutely love your website! What a fun 4th. I want to live in your cul de sac.
    Any chance of getting your neighbor’s (Katie) chocolate whoopie cookies recipes?
    Thank you in advance.

6. Tamara says

Thanks for these great ideas. I love the idea of pre-scooping the ice cream and freezing. You have such creativity. See you soon!

7. rere says

what a great idea! the chocolate whoopie cookies do look very goood, any chance of getting the recipe? thanks for the post!

8. lisa says

just discovered your blog and i love your posts, so inspiring to seek out the beauty in life. and our family enjoyed homemade ice cream sandwiches tonight, thank you!

We have an annual ice-cream party and I’m always looking for new ways to make a splash! I love love love this idea, and it looks like they had an amazing time! I would love to share with my readers!

10. Vicki says

Hi. I am planning a ‘late’ graduation party for my son.
    Can I make the cookies ahead of time and freeze them?
    Can I do the same with non frosted cupcakes. I have never
    tried freezing these…just wondering if they are still good
    out of the freezer.

11. marti says

Beautifully done and I love how you carried out the the red/white/blue theme and your vintage tablecloth. Your cone container is the same as those I got for our family reunion at the end of this month. Our family will be dressing in r/w/b for our family pictures, and I forwarded your dress suggestion tutorial to all of my family.

12. Kirstie says

You always have the best ideas and your pictures are almost like being there!
    Thank you for sharing your ice cream bar idea. I have 2 daughters (8 and 11) who will benefit from me having this idea in my head:)

13. Rayla says

Thanks for sharing this fab idea!!!! It couldn’t have come at a better time for me. We have a baptism this weekend and are doing this for our dessert…..I am sure that everyone will love this!!!!! Thanks again!

14. Rayla says

So the ice cream sandwich bar was a GREAT!!!! hit…..It was fun for all ages. I didn’t freeze my ice cream scoops. We did just scoop as people needed and it still worked fab! I had one at the very end and my ice cream was soft and melting and it still tasted great!!!!! thanks again for posting this idea. It was wonderful!

15. Dazie Carnes says

Thanks for some great ideas. I’m planning an ice cream bar for my son’s birthday party. You just gave me some additions to make and love the cute display. Can’t wait for the party. :)