I thought since it is just a week before Christmas that I would share with you some of the Wilkes Family’s holiday recipes. My children are VERY tradition oriented. We have some pretty strong traditions when it comes to food at our house and you better not try to veer away from them or the ranks revolt! One strong holiday food tradition is Christmas morning breakfast.
After the opening of presents, the Wilkes Family enjoys a breakfast of cinnamon rolls (the Rhodes frozen ones that rise and bake in 30 minutes!), hot chocolate and breakfast pizza. I am not sure where this recipe came from but my mom started making it years ago and it has stuck! It is a good one. My kids will also request it for their birthday breakfast. The best part of it is you can prepare most of it the night before so you don’t have to spend a lot of time in the kitchen in the morning.
- 1 lb. pork sausage (I use Jimmy Dean regular or maple)
- 1 pkg. (8) refrigerated crescent rolls
- 1 cup frozen loose pack hash brown potatoes, thawed (I put in the refrigerator and let thaw overnight)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 5 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese (I use Kraft)
- Cook sausage until well browned, drain fat.
- Separate crescent dough into 8 triangles.
- Place in an ungreased 12 inch pizza pan with points toward the center.
- Press over bottom and up sides to form a crust; seal perforations (important)
- Spoon sausage over the crust.
- Sprinkle with potatoes and top with cheddar cheese.
- (You can make it to this point the night ahead of time, cover with plastic and refrigerate)
- In a bowl beat together eggs, milk, salt and pepper.
- Pour over crust in the middle - it will seep out to the edges on its own.
- If you pour it near the edges it may overflow.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese over all.
- Bake at 375 oven for 25-30 minutes.