Graduation Gifts and Announcements

My baby girl is now safely delivered to college.  I still can’t believe it.  I woke up this morning to a quiet and empty house.  I have a lot of thoughts to share on that but they will have to wait until another day when I can sort them all out.

High School graduation is now only a memory at our house but I have one more post to share with you about it -our graduation announcement and a few of the gifts I put together for my daughter to remember her graduation and to send her off to college with.  I wanted to give her something a little more meaningful than luggage or a new computer (although she got a computer too)

One of the gifts I gave to Tessa was this necklace that I had made by White Lilie Design etsy shop.  I wanted something with a key on it.  I had it personalized to say “You Hold the Key.”  I wanted Tessa to know and remember that she holds the key to her life – to all the exciting, wonderful things that are to come.  She has been wearing the necklace constantly since I gave it to her – I guess she likes it.

_dsc0982

_dsc0976

To go along with the necklace I also put a poster together, using my Creative Memories Storybook Creator software. On the poster I included all kinds of quotes I found about keys.

key poster - Page 001

The poster is 16 x 20.  I also gave copies of it to some of Tessa’s closest friends who were also graduating.  I went to a vintage shop and bought some old skeleton keys for about $5.00 each and put them on a piece of ribbon and then tied it to the rolled up poster.

If you’d like a copy of the poster – you can download it for free here.  A gift from me to you.  I had it printed at Costco as a 16 x 20 poster.  After it opens up on your computer, just right click on it and save it as an image to your desktop.  You can then upload it to Costco.  Be sure and check full resolution to download it at Costco.

I also created a digital book for her using the same software.  I had made one for my daughter Cali also and it is one of my favorite books I have made.  I used a poem “Did I Tell You?” by Elizabeth Knapp.

I used various pictures of Tessa that went along with the poem.  I love it.  Here are a few pages from it.

Tessa Graduation Book - Page 001

Tessa Graduation Book - Page 016

Tessa Graduation Book - Page 021

If you’d like to see the entire book you can go here.  You will need to create a log in.

When I left her in Utah I framed this piece of art and left it on her dresser.

Lovely love

You can buy a copy of it here.

And there was that new MacBook Pro she got too.

I am not a big fan of those graduation announcements you can purchase from the company that does the graduation gowns etc.  Just too boring and impersonal.  I prefer to make my own.

grad invite

One of the companies I love that does a great job with announcements and invitations is Tiny Prints. They have lots of really fun options.  Here is the one Tessa chose for her announcement.  It turn out beautifully!

Now I just need to get them out in the mail.

They have lots of great options for  party invites, birth announcements, etc.  Check them out here. I want to have  BBQ just so I can use this invite.!

Being able to make a more personal announcement that reflects the graduates personality is so much more fun.

I’d also like to welcome Tiny Prints as a new sponsor here on the blog – check out their button my right side bar.

Here are a couple of coupon codes they have right now:
• Enjoy 15% off our entire collection of greeting cards when you use the code GC15 at checkout.

• Shop now to save 10% off photo gift orders of $45 or more using the code GIFT45 at checkout

Comments

1. Tamara says

What great ideas. Love the key necklace and poster. You have definitely prepared your children well to face the challenges of the world. They know they are loved and know where they can turn for peace and solace. Thanks for all your AMAZING ideas. Loved your newsletter on ideas for reading this summer.

2. Ellen says

Hi! Don’t remember if I told you already but either way……CONGRATS on Tessa’s graduation. Another wonderful step in life for her and for you.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the “You Hold the Key” necklace and I would like to have them made for my daughters too. I went to Esty and didn’t see it with the key. Did you add the Key yourself from the ones you bought or did they do the whole thing?

Also, great poster. I may have a smaller one made and frame it. And, I will probably give some out as well. THANK YOU for your gift to us.

Blessings to you and your family!!!!!!!!!!

Love,
    Ellen

3. kelly says

those are amazing gifts! i love special things like that. i am going to do something like the book you made for my daughter when she has her baby in sept. they are such keepsakes!

4. Susan says

I loved the pages of the book you shared using the poem “Did I Tell You”. I would love to see all of it but couldn’t get the link to work. Any suggestions?

5. Patti says

I also wanted to see all of it, but couldn’t get the link to work…sign up but it wouldn’t let you look.

Wonderful post. I just went through my oldest daughter’s college graduation, and I love the idea of the digital book. I’m impressed with your energy and creativity!

Such lovely, thought-filled gifts. I must admit that I am tearing up reading about these special items. WONDERFUL. All the best to your daughter as she begins this new journey. So exciting.

I would love the key necklace….for me. :) I second the inquiry, did you add the old fashioned key to the charm and chain?

Bex, I bought the necklace from an etsy shop. There is a link to the shop in the post. She is out of them right now but is hoping to get more in. You can convo her and let her know you are interested.

I love all of those thoughtful ideas…it sounds like she’ll have lots of lovely reminders while she is away! I also love the bird shirt she is wearing in the top photos…any idea where it is from?

The shirt is actually her sisters and she just borrowed it! It is a couple of years old and came from a store her in Portland that is no longer there – sorry! The bird is a pigeon, my older daughter loves pigeons! You can check out more photos of the shirt on my daughter’s fashion blog. Totally Tessa

9. Lisa says

I love your website and the great ideas. I am trying to see your book and I am not able… suggestions? help… thanks again for all your work and posts.

10. Deborah Rogers says

After reading your blog, I can barely see well enough through my tears to type a response. My oldest daughter is graduating in May. She turns 18 this weekend. I was just holding her in my arms and rocking her to sleep as an infant. I blinked. Now she is a adult; an amazing one at that. Thank you for putting words to my feelings.

11. Bobbie says

Thank you! I love your site you have put a lot in it. I printed the poster. It was simple & turned out perfect. It was something special to give to my sister:) I printed it at Walgreens with a coupon code I got it for 8.99!