Finding Focus: Technology Fast

As I shared the first of the month, my Word of the Year for 2011 is Focus. To read about why I chose Focus read my post here.

I promised to keep you updated on my progress and so today is my first Finding Focus post.

I love technology, I love my blog, reading other people’s blogs, email, texting, gmail chat, skyping with my kids and yes, I even enjoy spending a little time on Facebook each day.  But I have found that all these wonderful things can cause me to become a little disconnected from “real” life and a little distracted sometimes.  Technology is definitely a blessing in my life and not something to be afraid of but as Leo of Zen Habits put it in his e book…… “it’s a life where we are always connected, interrupted, distracted, bombarded with info that we should be afraid of.”

So I decided that this year, in my efforts to bring some more focus into my daily life and week, that I would have a Technology Fast each Sunday.  I believe that the Sabbath day is truly a day of rest, a day different than every other one in the week.  It is a time for us to worship, pray, read and truly take a break from the craziness and distraction of the other six days of the week.  I didn’t always do that.  I went to my church meetings etc. but I found that I was still checking my emails, working on blog posts, reading blogs etc.

A few weeks after making this decision to have a weekly Technology Fast I received a letter in the mail inviting me to be a speaker at Brigham Young University’s yearly Women’s Conference.  This is a huge honor and one I am very excited about (I hope that any of you that might be attending will come to my class!)

Interestingly, the topic I was asked to speak on was based on some counsel from one of our church leaders to “make sure our media choices expand our minds, increase our opportunities, and feed our souls.  Technology can help us keep in touch with family and loved ones.  It can also consume much of our time.”

Hmmm….I guess someone really thinks I need to work on this!  I have learned that often it is the teacher that needs the lesson more than the student.

So I am proud to say that I have survived three whole Sundays without technology.  I have not gotten on the computer (except when we listened to a church fireside together as a family), I haven’t written any blog posts, I haven’t read any blogs.  I haven’t even texted on my phone although I do talk on the phone!  We don’t watch any network T.V. but have watched a couple of family movies together.  My husband has also joined me in a technology fast and has given up watching sports on Sunday which is HUGE!

I can honestly say that my Sundays are now truly a day of rest.  There is a sense of peace and calm to my day that I do not feel in any other day of the week.  I have read a couple of good books, crocheted a few scarves and just spent time as a family.  I am a convert!  It wasn’t nearly as hard as I thought it would be.

I have learned to turn off my computer monitor and stay away!  I have found that this break once a week has helped me to be more focused the rest of the week.

I have always loved the quote by Henry David Thoreau – “It’s not enough to be busy, so are the ants.  The question is, what are we busy about.”

It is so nice to once a week, on what we call the Lord’s day, take a break from the busyness of life.  Not to be an ant but to focus on things that matter most.  You might want to give it a try.

Comments

1. Julie says

Congratulations on being invited to speak at womens conference! You will do an amazing job! Thanks for the inspiration, I really enjoy your posts!

I love this! I’m in! But…I will be enjoying the Super Bowl-with my family and friends! ;) And I love the Thoreau quote. I’ve been trying to “focus” more on the quality of my busyness and not be an ant. Thanks so much for sharing!!!

After last year’s conference I swore off ever going again. It’s just gotten so huge and there are so many people and you can’t get to the class you want unless you skip the hour before to stand in line…etc! But now that I hear you’re speaking, I’m going to have to go!

Leigh Anne,
    I re-committed myself to the same Sabbath technology fast just a few weeks ago. It is something that I have had a testimony of for years but it is so easy to fall into bad habits if I am not watchful! It is always nice to hear about others’ efforts …it inspires me. Thanks and congrats on the invite to present at the Women’s conference!

5. brooke says

That is so exciting that you are going to speak at Women’s Conf. We go every year and I am looking forward to your class!

6. ashley in pdx says

Congratulations on Women’s Conference. Did you submit a proposal or did someone suggest you?

I’m working towards the technology fast. Its a goal I have. I have to figure out when to get my grading done other than Sunday night. I will do this ! I know it will make a difference.

What a great post…and you are right. Definitely agree with the distraction. I find I’m doing less hobbies than I used to…and that’s not really a good thing. I think I am going to really consider technology fasting on Sunday as well. My knee jerk reaction is “yes” I’m going to do this. But I want to really digest the thought and really make a commitment to do it, not just make a quick decision and then fail. thank you for this post!

8. The Queen Vee says

Congrats on the Women’s Conference invite, I’ve never been but I hear it’s great.

I like your idea of a Technology fast, I’m just not sure I could do it. Sunday mornings I’m often using the computer for church stuff and Sunday evenings I try and write family members and missionaries. I say good for you though!

9. kelly says

i won’t be at women’s conference but i try to always attend ed week, you would be such a perfect person to have a class there!! you should ask them!!

Seriously! I just threw away the WC flier thinking I won’t be able to cram it in this year, but now I want to come down for one day at least! Which day will you be presenting?

11. Jennefer Johnson says

Hi Leigh Anne –

Actually you are speaking at 12:30 p.m. on Thursday, April 28 in the JSB (Joseph Smith Building).

By 11:30 p.m. I am ready to go home because we have to be back at 6:00 a.m. on Friday.

We are so happy you are speaking!