Crepe Bar}The Crepes

Having a crepe bar for the bridal shower I hosted last Saturday was so much fun.  It was fun, pretty and delicious.  The perfect combination for a party.

Martell Shower

I love crepes and fell even more in love with them after my visit to Paris last summer where I ate as many as I could.  I loved watching the crepe makers on the street do their thing!

They made it look so easy with their super cool big crepe makers and their smooth wrist action.

I decided I needed to learn to make crepes so I went onto Amazon and bought myself one of those nifty little crepe making spreaders.

Since I didn’t think I could afford one of those fancy crepe making griddles I decided to use my frying pan.

I tried two different methods.  The swirl it in the frying pan method which worked pretty good. Just pour about 1/4 c of batter into the pan ( I grease my pan first) and start swirling the pan around.  It’s all in the wrist.

_dsc0276

and I used the crepe spreader method using my flat bottomed cast iron skillet.

The main trick is you need to have your batter the right consistency – it needs to be pretty runny so that it spreads evenly and quickly.

Crepes

After you pour in your batter (I used about 1/4 C you hold your little spreader straight up and start to turn it.

Crepes

Just keep turning as the batter spreads out.

Crepes

Crepes

Because they are so thin they cook quickly – you don’t want it to get too done or brown.

This is just about right!
Crepes

I then place it on a piece of wax paper and put another piece on top.  Layer crepe with wax paper and repeat.  The wax paper keeps them from sticking together and helps keep them soft so they roll up really nice.  You don’t want them to dry out.

Crepes

You will eventually end up with a nice little pile of crepes

For the shower I was lucky to have a party guest who just graduated from culinary school volunteer to make all the crepes!  That is the easiest way to make crepes.

Next up – all the fun crepe fillings.  That’s the best party!

Martell Shower

Crepe Bar}The Crepes

• 2 C flour
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 Tbsp oil
  • 2 C milk
  • pinch of salt

• Combine all the ingredients into the blender and mix until well combined
  • Heat pan and pour in batter (about 1/4 C at a time)
  • Twirl pan to evenly spread out batter or use a crepe spreader
  • Cook until lightly browned on bottom and then flip

Comments

“For the shower I was lucky to have a party guest who just graduated from culinary school volunteer to make all the crepes! That is the easiest way to make crepes.”

Best sentence in the whole post! I need to invite those sorts of friends over when I host ;).

Oh my goodness gracious! How absolutely wonderful! That spread is beautiful! Everything looks so pretty and delicious! You have really outdone yourself this time…I mean, everything you do is fantastic, but this is gorgeous and different. What a great idea. Now you’ve got me thinking…hmmm…when can I have a crepe party! You totally rocked it!

This is SO beautiful and fun. I’m hosting a shower in a few weeks and this makes me want to change the menu. I did have one questions though, you want to serve these warm, right? How did the timing of the whole thing work? Thanks for your help!

Actually Jessica, the beauty of a crepe is that the crepe shell does not need to be warm. We served them at room temperature. Refrigerate them overnight if you make them ahead and then just pull them out to come to room temperature before serving. If you were making a savory crepe (cheese, ham, etc.) you may want it warm to melt the cheese but for our sweet savory crepe bar room temperature was great!

4. Melissa says

I can’t wait to get the recipes for the crepe fillings. These are one of our family’s favorite desserts!

5. Traci Major says

I was just in Barcelona visiting our oldest daughter during her semester studying there for college. She took us to one of the open air markets, and the crepe man fascinated me, too! The combination I had was strawberries and nutella…but your fillings look wonderful! Making them at home, I just use a non stick skillet and an old recipe that calls for the Wondra cake flour I believe…they were easy as can be! Beautiful party!

6. Karen says

What a wonderful looking spread! such a great idea that I am sure alot of us will steal ;) The question I have, I do alot of big group entertaining and absolutely LOVE the stand signs you have on the table stating what the dish is etc… where can I find the stands?

7. kelly says

it is such a beautiful table of inviting food! i love strawberries and nutella on my crepes, gluten free of course. i was able to have buckwheat crepes in st. louis that were pretty good, not paris of course but you take what you can get! i was wondering about the lemon juice? never heard of using that before?

Kelly, I made some crepes with buckwheat for Cali on Sunday and she really liked them. If you want the recipe let me know. Also I love a crepe drizzled with lemon juice and then sprinkled with powdered sugar. So good!

8. Marnie says

Very fun idea, Leigh Anne! So pretty and festive. I’m especially intrigued with your little crepe maker tool- I love crepes but my success rate with them has been pretty hit or miss in the past. We lived in Germany for 7 years and, of course, no festival would be complete without crepe makers. You’re right- they always made it look so easy! My all time favorite crepe, though, we found in a cute little cafe in France. It was a dessert crepe spread with chocolate and filled with diced, cooked pears. They drizzled it with more chocolate and served it hot with to-die-for real vanilla ice cream. Oh, my! Out of this world on a cold, rainy afternoon!

9. Marianne says

Will you be posting the recipes for the chocolate, white chocolate and cream cheese mousse? This is a great idea
    Thanks!

10. Teri says

I love crepes too! What a beautiful table set up you have! It looks so inviting… I can picture myself taking a little scoop of everything!!! What a wonderful idea!