Cinnamon Rice Krispie Treats are a fun twist on an old favorite. Use cinnamon flavored marshmallows or add cinnamon into the marshmallow mixture for a fun new taste.
Have you noticed all the fun different flavors of marshmallows that have been around lately? This summer I was buying strawberry, chocolate, caramel, swirl, and coconut. All kinds of deliciousness. This Fall there is a new crop of marshmallow flavors. So far I have seen pumpkin, chocolate mint and my personal favorite cinnamon bun.
So what do you do with a bag of cinnamon marshmallows? Make Rice Krispie treats of course! Cinnamon Rice Krispie Treats are a dressed up version of an old favorite.
I change up the traditional Rice Krispie recipe you find on the back of the box of cereal. It usually calls for 1/4 cup of butter but if a 1/4 cup is good then 1/2 cup is better! I think it makes for a moister, not quite so dry treat.
I do everything else the same – one bag of marshmallows and about 6 cups of cereal. I like my treats a bit gooey.
I did dress these treats up just a little bit. I added 1/2 cup of Bit of Brickle (can be found in the chocolate chip area). They are small toffee pieces and I mixed them in with the marshmallow and cereal and then I sprinkled about another 1/3 cup over the top of the treats once they were in the pan. Another thing I do is I don’t smash the mixture down into the pan. I like my treats a little lighter and airer.
Then the final step is a drizzle of melted milk chocolate chips. Lots of fun flavors – cinnamon, chocolate and toffee – all in one place.
Now if you can’t find the Cinnamon Bun marshmallows by Kraft, (I found them at Winco) you could add in about 1 tsp of cinnamon into your melted butter and marshmallow mixture.
- 1 bag of marshmallows
- ½ cup butter
- 6-7 C Rice Krispie cereal
- ½ and ⅓ C toffee bits
- 1 C milk chocolate chips, melted
- In a pan on the stove top combine marshmallows and butter and melt - can also be done in the microwave.
- Mix marshmallows and butter until butter melts and mixture is smooth. If you can't find cinnamon marshmallows add in 1 tsp cinnamon into mixture.
- Pour 6-7 C Rice Krispie cereal into a large bow. Add in marshmallow mixture and mix well. Add in ½ C Bit o' Brickle or toffee bits.
- Once the marshmallow-butter mixture is evenly mixed in, pour into a greased 9 x 13 pan.
- Do not press down with your hand.
- Sprinkle top with ⅓ C more toffee bits and allow to set.
- Melt 1 cup of milk chocolate chips and then drizzle over the top
Recipe was originally shared over at my friend Mique’s blog – Thirty Handmade Days.