We love to have breakfast for dinner at our house. It can be quick and easy and yummy.
After that week of Eat Cake we were ready for a little more low carb/low glycemic eating at our house!
I had a package of chorizo in my freezer that I bought one day. I had never cooked with chorizo before but had enjoyed it in an egg dish at a restaurant.
When time and ideas were short on what to have for dinner last week I remembered that package of chorizo and that egg dish. I decided to recreate it at home. You could easily do the same thing with Italian sausage or Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage. Even a pound of hamburger would work – I’d just season it up a bit. The chorizo gives it a little extra kick though!
Chorizo is a Spanish word and is a pork sausage. I used a Mexican Chorizo, there are also Spanish and Portuguese, all variations on a theme. The Mexican version is usually easily available in the meat department of most grocery stores. If you can’t find it at yours you may need to find a local Mexican/Latin market.
I also had some Mexican cotija cheese which is a hard cow’s milk cheese from Mexico that I used in combination with the cheddar cheese for an even more authentic Mexican dish! Top it with a little chopped cilantro and you’ve got a great meal! If you are not worried about carbs serve it wrapped up in a flour tortilla for a fun breakfast burrito.
So for a quick and easy, low carb/low glycemic dinner or breakfast give Chorizo Egg Scramble a try.
- 5 eggs
- ½ - ¾ lb. chorizo ground sausage. If you can only find it in the casings just remove the casings and crumble.
- ½ C onion, white or red
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 C cheddar cheese
- ½ C cotija cheese, crumbled
- cilantro, chopped for topping
- flour tortillas
- Cook sausage over medium heat in a large frying pan until browned and cooked through and crumbly Add onion, jalapeno pepper and cook until onion is tender
- Mix eggs in a bowl
- Push sausage to the side and add eggs to frying pan
- Continue cooking until eggs are scrambled and not runny
- Add sausage into the cooked eggs
- Serve wrapped in a flour tortilla or on a plate
- Sprinkle with cheese and chopped cilantro