We love to have breakfast for dinner at our house. It can be quick and easy and yummy thanks to this Chorizo Egg Scramble.
After that week of Eat Cake we were ready for a little more low carb/low glycemic eating at our house!
I had a package of chorizo in my freezer that I bought one day. I had never cooked with chorizo before but had enjoyed it in an egg dish at a restaurant.
When time and ideas were short on what to have for dinner last week I remembered that package of chorizo and that egg dish. I decided to recreate it at home. You could easily do the same thing with Italian sausage or Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage. Even a pound of hamburger would work – I’d just season it up a bit. The chorizo gives it a little extra kick though!
Chorizo is a Spanish word and is a pork sausage. I used a Mexican Chorizo, there are also Spanish and Portuguese, all variations on a theme. The Mexican version is usually easily available in the meat department of most grocery stores. If you can’t find it at yours you may need to find a local Mexican/Latin market.
I also had some Mexican cotija cheese which is a hard cow’s milk cheese from Mexico that I used in combination with the cheddar cheese for an even more authentic Mexican dish! Top it with a little chopped cilantro and you’ve got a great meal! If you are not worried about carbs serve it wrapped up in a flour tortilla for a fun breakfast burrito.
So for a quick and easy, low carb/low glycemic dinner or breakfast give Chorizo Egg Scramble a try.
- 5 eggs
- ½ - ¾ lb. chorizo ground sausage. If you can only find it in the casings just remove the casings and crumble.
- ½ C onion, white or red
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 C cheddar cheese
- ½ C cotija cheese, crumbled
- cilantro, chopped for topping
- flour tortillas
- Cook sausage over medium heat in a large frying pan until browned and cooked through and crumbly Add onion, jalapeno pepper and cook until onion is tender
- Mix eggs in a bowl
- Push sausage to the side and add eggs to frying pan
- Continue cooking until eggs are scrambled and not runny
- Add sausage into the cooked eggs
- Serve wrapped in a flour tortilla or on a plate
- Sprinkle with cheese and chopped cilantro
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my ebook! Do you think your friends would love this too? Please share my blog with them. Thanks!