I feel like it has taken Valentine’s Day forever to get here. It may be because I decorated so early this year. But I’m ready!
The kids have gotten their Valentine package, I’ve already delivered sugar cookies to the neighbors and I’ve bought a Valentine for my sweetie. So with all the extra time I have on my hands I played around with another Valentine’s dessert.
Of course it is chocolate. Can you really have a Valentine dessert without chocolate.
One of my favorite chocolate desserts is a chocolate lava cake. Full of warm chocolate gooeyness!
This time I decided to bake them in a cupcake form. Chocolate Lava Cupcakes
They are just the right amount of chocolate when they come cupcake size.
Of course this is one of those desserts that is best served warm but the great thing about the cupcake is they are easy to pop in the microwave and warm up in about 15-20 seconds and all that warm gooeyness in the middle reappears!
Before you start the cupcakes you will want to make the chocolate ganache that goes in the middle. It needs to cool in the refrigerator for about an hour so it thickens up. It will be thick pudding like once it is cooled.
I used a Devil’s Food cake mix and a recipe for chocolate cupcakes from Betty Crocker. The recipe calls for a box of instant chocolate pudding mix too which helps make a nice moist cupcake. Just use it straight out of the box. Don’t make the pudding.
Be sure and spray and flour your cupcake pan really well! You don’t want these babies to stick.
Fill them each with about 1/3 cup of batter. I used my ice cream scoop and it was just the right size.
Then spoon about one tablespoon of the chocolate ganache on top of each. The first time I just left the ganache sitting on top. The cupcake does bake up around it but you do end up with a little grater in the middle of your cupcake. Not a bad thing. It is a perfect spot to put a scoop of ice cream.
The second batch (it makes 2 dozen) I used the back of my spoon and pressed the ganache into the cupcake batter. I ended up with a cupcake that was a little neater looking – no big hole.
I gave them a sprinkle of powdered sugar.
To serve I just placed on a plate and then popped a small scoop of ice cream on top. I used Haagen Daz Chocolate Chip ice cream.
Happy Valentine’s Day!
- ¾ C whipping cream
- 1½ C semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 box Devil's Food cake mix
- 1 box (4oz.) chocolate fudge instant pudding and pie filling
- 1¼ C water
- ½ C vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- In a sauce pan heat whipping cream until it is not but does not boil. Add in chocolate chips and stir until melted and smooth. Refrigerate for one hour so it thickens up. Stir occasionally.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour cupcake/muffin pan. Combine cake mix, pudding, water, oil and eggs in mixer and mix on low for 30 seconds and then medium for 2 minutes. Place ⅓ C of batter into each muffin cup. Spoon 1 Tbsp of ganache on top of batter and press into batter with back of spoon.
- Bake 20-22 minutes or until top springs back when touched.
- Cool 1 minute
- Remove from pan and place on cooling rack or parchment paper. Cool for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve with ice cream.
- Can be reheated in the microwave for about 15-20 seconds.