Are the holiday crazies happening at your house? I think this next week may be the busiest of the season. All the school concerts, performances, parties etc.
During the holidays, one of the biggest challenges can be getting dinner on the table each night. With all the extra activities and parties that come with the season fixing dinner can be next to impossible some nights. Having a few quick and easy dinner ideas on hand can be a life saver.
Today’s recipe is one of those quick and easy recipes and also a kid favorite – chicken and noodles.
The chicken can be marinaded up to 24 hours ahead of time but if you are like I am, and usually forget, it is fine to throw it in the marinade while you are chopping up the carrots.
The night I made it I only added carrots and onions because that’s all I had but it would be great with some broccoli, snow peas or any other vegetable you might have in the refrigerator. And it would look a lot prettier with a little green added in!
I threw a handful of chopped cashews on top of mine because I like the texture and crunch it gives the dish but it’s not a necessity.
The yakisoba noodles are usually found in the produce section of the grocery store, near where the wonton wrappers and that type of thing is. They usually come vacuum sealed.
Do you have a favorite go to meal that’s quick and easy to fix during the holidays.
- ½ C soy sauce
- ½ C water
- ½ C sugar
- 6 Tbsp sesame oil, divided
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp minced ginger
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
- 4 (7 oz.9 pkg. yakisoba noodles, uncooked
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely julienned or chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- sesame seeds, chopped nuts or sliced green onions for garnish
- In a medium bowl, mix together soy sauce, water, sugar, 2 Tbsp sesame oil, garlic and ginger
- Place the chicken in a plastic bag and add 6 Tbsp of the soy sauce mixture; close bag and marinate in the refrigerator for 24 hours
- Reserve remaining soy sauce mixture for cooking noodles
- Remove the noodles from the package and gently separate
- Reserve seasoning packets for another use
- In large skillet or wok over high heat, heat 2 Tbsp sesame oil
- Add carrot and onion; saute until almost brown
- Reduce heat to medium and add noodles
- Stir fry 5-6 minutes or until they begin to stick to the pan
- Add the reserved soy sauce mixture and stir fry for 3-5 minutes longer
- Meanwhile, in a separate skillet, heat remaining 2 Tbsp sesame oil
- Saute the chicken until cooked through
Recipe originally shared over at Portland’s Mama.
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my ebook!