Chicken Paprikash is an easy and flavorful dish that can be served over rice or noodles.
My husband is an Idaho boy and he grew up on a lot of meat, potatoes and gravy type of food. Swiss Steak with gray, roast with gravy etc. I don’t cook that way but with today’s recipe I felt like I met him halfway. He loved this dish! In fact he ate it for leftovers several times during the week and each time he commented on how much he liked it.
Chicken Paprikish or also known as Paprika Chicken is a Hungarian dish and is commonly made with bell peppers. Or at least that is what Wikipedia had to say about Chicken Paprikash. It also has sour cream added in at the end so it is a “stroganoff” like dish with a gravy like sauce without being too heavy or rich like some gravy can be. I definitely liked this better than any stroganoff I have ever had though.
Chicken Paprikash is traditionally served with spaetzle, egg noodles or even rice. You need something to soak up the yummy gravy that it makes.
It comes together quickly and has great flavor. I used chicken breasts and just regular Paprika although I understand that Hungarian Paprika is better. I’m going to have to look for it and try it next time because there will definitely be a next time with this dish.
In addition to the green bell pepper and onion, this recipe has a little secret ingredient – bacon! Just saute the three of them together.
The chicken is coated in flour, paprika and marjoram and then cooked in a little olive oil until the chicken is browned, about 6 minutes. Combine the chicken with the veggie mixture and add in some chicken broth and simmer until chicken is all the way cooked through. All that is left to do is add in the sour cream and parsley and then let it simmer for a few more minutes. Serve over rice, noodles or spaetzle.
Garnish with a little fresh flat leaf parsley to dress it up a bit and add some nice color.
For some other chicken dishes try these:
- 6 slices bacon, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ¼ C all purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp paprika
- ½ tsp dried marjoram
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2-3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts cut into chunks
- 2 C chicken broth
- noodles, rice or spaetzle
- ½ C sour cream
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Cook bacon in a pan over medium heat for 4 minutes.
- Add in onion and pepper. Cook for 3-4 more minutes.
- Mix together flour, paprika, marjoram, salt and garlic in a plastic bag.
- Add the cut up chicken and shake to coat chicken on all sides.
- Cook the chicken in olive oil until chicken is browned, about 6 minutes.
- Add in bacon mixture and cook for 2-3 more minutes.
- Add in chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Stir and reduce heat and allow to simmer until chicken is cooked through. About 10 minutes
- Prepare rice, noodles or spaetzle
- Add sour cream and parsley to chicken mixture and reduce heat and simmer for 2-3 more minutes.
- Garnish with additional parsley