I like any excuse to shop and have lunch at Nordstroms! I particularly like their tomato basil soup from Nordstroms Cafe but they also have amazing salads. They are all yummy and I always have a hard time choosing. I decided I needed to learn to make some of them at home. One of my favorite salads is a Caramelized Walnut and Pear Salad. I think the real Nordstrom version uses Blue Cheese but since I am not a fan of it I used Gorgonzola instead.
This salad has a lot of fun flavors going on. The sweetness of the pear and the caramelized walnuts. I’ve become a big fan of walnuts recently. Then you have the crunch of the red pepper and the tang of the Gorgonzola Cheese.
Then the whole thing is topped with a yummy Champagne Vinaigrette. I had a hard time finding Champagne Vinaigrette. I did find a yummy Orange Muscat Champagne Vinegar at Trader Joes. If you can’t find a Champagne Wine Vinegar I am sure you could use a White Wine Vinegar. The vinaigrette is a combination of shallots, Dijon mustard, garlic, champagne vinegar, oil and sugar. There is only 2 Tbsp of sugar in the vinaigrette which is fairly low sugar for a dressing. Best of all, it is delicious!
This salad is pretty and delicious!
- 1 C Caramelized Walnuts (see recipe below)
- 1 C crumbled Gorgonzola Cheese
- 2 pears, cut in thin slices
- 1 C red pepper slices
- ½ C Champagne Vinaigrette (see recipe below)
- 1 C walnuts
- ½ C sugar
- 1 Tbsp chopped shallot
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ C Champagne wine vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
- 1¼ C canola oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Combine sugar and nuts in a pan on medium heat. Stir until sugar is melted and nuts are coated and begin to brown. Place on a plate to cool.
- In a bowl combine shallot, mustard, sugar, garlic, vinegar, oil, salt and pepper. Mix well using a wire whisk. Makes about 2 Cups
- Combine greens, nuts, cheese, pears and red peppers in bowl. Top with Champagne Vinaigrette.
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my ebook!