Breakfast Week continues! Tomorrow I will have be doing a fun breakfast post exchange with my friend Laura so be sure and check back.
You know my potato issues but I do have a family of potato lovers so I have learned to cook potatoes.
Usually one of the elements of a well rounded breakfast plate is some type of potato. Today’s recipe for breakfast potatoes can be made with just about any type of potato but our family prefers the smaller red potatoes.
A little planning is required for this recipe but it can easily be done the night before. The potatoes need to be cooked until fork tender and then refrigerated. I have found that to be one of the keys to successful breakfast potatoes. If you try to cook them right after boiling them they are too soft and just fall apart. If you try to skip the boiling first step they are just too hard. So for perfect breakfast potatoes – boil first and then refrigerate!
This is one of those recipes that you can really personalize to your own tastes. Here is how our family likes them – bacon, peppers and onions.
- 10-12 small red potatoes unpeeled
- 6 slice bacon diced
- 1/2 C chopped red bell pepper
- 3 green onions sliced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- ground pepper
- Cover potatoes with water in a pan over high heat and bring to a boil
- Reduce heat to medium low and cook until tender - about 20 minutes
- Drain and refrigerate until cold over overnight
- Cut potatoes into quarters
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, cook bacon until crisp
- Drain on a paper towel but reserve 2 Tbsp of bacon grease in skillet
- Reduce heat to medium
- Add potatoes, red pepper, green onions, salt, garlic and pepper to taste and cook until vegetables are tender and browned, 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Add bacon and cook for 1-2 more minutes
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my ebook! Do you think your friends would love this too? Please share my blog with them. Thanks!