Enjoy a quick, easy and delicious meal done in your crock pot with BBQ Pork Sandwiches
If you are like me, there is usually a little holiday cooking burnout the week following a major holiday. If you are lucky enough to have leftover ham in the refrigerator you may want to fix some fried rice for dinner – that’s our favorite way to use it.
If you don’t have leftovers but are looking for an easy, no fuss dinner today’s recipe is just for you.
It only involves a few ingredients and it is done in the crock pot – how’s that for easy! Put BBQ Pork Sandwiches on the menu this week.
Look for an inexpensive cut of pork – I use a pork roast, pork shoulder or pork carnitas. What ever is the cheapest that week. After all that holiday food shopping your budget could probably use a bit of a rest this week too.
Just pop that piece of meat (I used 4 lbs.) into the crock pot with a little seasoning of salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion salt and dry mustard and 2 1/2 C of root beer. Let it cook on low for about 5- 6 hours or so or until it pulls apart nicely.
Drain off the liquid and shred the meat. Pour BBQ sauce over the meat and then return to the crockpot and allow to cook for about one more hour.
Serve it up on a bun and top it with a little more BBQ sauce.
Now they are ready for some BBQ pork!
- 4 lb. pork shoulder, pork roast or pork carnitas
- 2½ C root beer
- 1 bottle (18 oz.) barbeque sauce. I like Sweet Baby Rays.
- salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, dry mustard
- Sprinkle pork with above spices.
- Place in crock pot and pour in root beer.
- Cook on low for 5-6 hours or until pork pulls apart easily.
- Drain liquid from crockpot.
- Shred pork
- Cover with bbq sauce and mix to coat. (reserve a little sauce to add on top when serving)
- Allow to cook for another hour in crockpot.
- To serve, toast hamburger buns by buttering them and placing them face down in a frying pan until they are golden brown.
- Place pork onto bun and top with some additional bbq sauce