Today I have another recipe from my mom’s Vintage 80th Birthday Party Luncheon.
In addition to the 3 different quiches that I served there was a selection of salads also.
I made the yummy corn and blueberry salad. Yes, I know it sounds like a weird combination but you just have to trust me on this one – it is wonderful!
I also had some of Pioneer Women’s Sun-dried Tomato Pasta Salad left over from our Fourth of July celebration.
We also had today’s recipe – Asian Spinach Salad and a Sweet & Sour Salad (that recipe coming later this week)
I love the combination of the pasta with the spinach. The dressing was delicious and the salad would be great with or without the chicken. I used chicken.
When I am putting on a party where I am doing all the food I try and prep as much as I can the day before. With this salad I cooked the pasta the night before and just kept it refrigerated until I put the salad together. Be sure and cook it al dente. You don’t want it over cooked.
I also precooked and shredded the chicken so it was quick and easy to put together before serving. The dressing is easily made several days before and just kept in the refrigerator. You want to wait until right before serving time to put the dressing on as spinach salads doesn’t hold up as long as lettuce ones do.
I have made this salad for dinner also and with the addition of chicken it makes a great main course. It is a perfect summer time meal. Next time I think I will add in a can of mandarin oranges too.
There are lots of great textures in the salad – the crunch of bean sprouts, water chestnuts and sunflower seeds!
I found the recipe over at This Week for Dinner
- 1 small bag of spinach
- 8 oz. bowtie pasta (cook, strain, cool)
- 2-4 Tbsp. Sesame seeds
- ½ C. Sunflower seeds
- 1 can sliced water chestnuts
- 3 chicken breasts – season heavily with lemon pepper, grill and cut into bite size pieces
- 1 C. bean sprouts
- ½ C. Canola oil
- ½ C. sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp Seasoned Rice vinegar (unseasoned works too)
- ½ tsp sesame SEED oil
- 1 tsp grated fresh garlic
- Toss salad ingredients together: spinach, cooked bowtie pasta, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, water chestnuts, chicken breasts, and bean sprouts
- Combine Canola oil, sugar, salt, sesame oil, soy sauce, Seasoned Rice vinegar (unseasoned works too), sesame SEED oil, grated fresh garlic
- Store in refrigerator. Return to room temp before combined
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my ebook! Do you think your friends would love this too? Please share my blog with them. Thanks!