This recipe came from a family cookbook my daughter put together several years ago. It was a compilation of the Best Family’s favorite recipes.
The recipe came from my mom and is one she made regularly for her empty nester family home evening group. I could join that group now!
A nice warm apple cake.
Now take that nice warm apple cake and cover it in caramel sauce and you have heaven. So there is just not enough caramel sauce on this piece of cake – what was I thinking!!
Now if you are a nut lover you can take it one step further and add some chopped pecans (and some more caramel sauce)!
Yum, yum. Apples and caramel sauce. So good.
Welcome Fall. I am glad you are here.
- ½ C unsalted butter
- 1 C sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1½ C flour
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 medium tart apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¾ C pecans(optional for cake)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9 x 9 pan.
- Beat sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time.
- Add flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Mix until incorporated.
- Add apples, nuts if desired and vanilla.
- Pour into pan.
- Bake 35-45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Serve with caramel sauce and ice cream if desired.