30 Minute Rolls

thirty Minute Rolls

I’ve lost track of how many times I have made these rolls in the last few months.  Let’s just say it’s been a lot.

And everytime I’ve made them everyone has asked “Is this recipe on the blog?”  I have been promising and promising it would be so now it is.

I found this recipe over at my friend Laura’s blog – Real Mom Kitchen.

Believe it or not these rolls only take 30 minutes to make.  Start to finish.  Really!  And they are a yeast roll.  The other thing I love about this recipe is that it makes a dozen good size rolls.  You can make them smaller and make two dozen if you’d like.  But with our reduced size family we don’t need two dozen rolls, we don’t really need one dozen either so I know a few nice teenage boys that I like to share them with.

You mix the yeast, sugar, oil and water  together and let it rest for 15 minutes.  Then you mix up the dough and make 12 balls and let them rest for 10 minutes.

And then in just ten minutes they look like this.

And then after baking for another 10 minutes they look like this!

And they taste as good as a roll that took two hours to make!

Of course the best way to eat a fresh, warm roll right out of the oven is with lots of honey butter!

There you have it – quick, easy and delicious!  I promise!

Be sure and check out the Herb and Cheese Version I created too – it’s so good!.

30 Minute Rolls

• 1 C plus 2 Tbsp warm water
  • ⅓ C vegetable oil
  • 2 Tbsp active dry yeast
  • ¼ C sugar
  • 1½ tsp salt
  • 1 egg
  • 3½ C bread flour (seems to work better but all purpose flour will also work)
  1. Heat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. In your mixer bowl combine the water, oil, yeast and sugar and allow it to rest for 15 minutes. Using your dough hook, mix in the salt, egg and flour.
  3. Knead with hook until will incorporated and dough is soft and smooth. (Just a few minutes)
  4. Form dough into 12 balls and then place in a greased 9 x 13 pan and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Bake for 10 minutes at 400 degrees or until golden brown.

Recipe from Real Mom Kitchen

Comments

1. JoyRenee says

I made these tonight to go alongside our family’s fave salmon cakes. The recipe is great overall, but it is seriously lacking in salt!

I was skeptical about the 1/2 tsp going into it, and I wasn’t too surprised when I sampled the dough after I scraped the bowl or when I tasted them fresh out of the oven.

But then I clicked over to Real Mom Kitchen’s recipe and saw it had 1 1/2 tsp salt instead of 1/2. Seems to make much more sense. Not sure if yours was a typo or a variation, so I thought I’d share. :) We’re not huge salt people, but I know what good things it can do for bread, and this recipe would really taste better with more than a tiny 1/2 tsp.

We just buttered with salted butter at dinner, and they were fine. Great texture, and the ease of 30 minutes flat (It really did take me only 30!!!!!!!) cannot be beat!

JoyRenee, You are right – that is a typo – I’ve gone in and changed it to 1 1/2 tsp – sorry about that!!! Can’t believe I didn’t catch that before!!

• terri says

I have been looking for a good roll recipe for years and alot of people will not give you there recipe so I never made them so I was wondering if I could use self rising flour? Thanks so much.

I have never tried using self rising flour. My understanding though is if you substitute self rising flour for regular all purpose flour you need to omit the salt and baking powder from the recipe. Let me know if you try it!

Andrea – just wanted you to know I tweeked the recipe and the salt is now 1 tsp – not sure if you printed off the recipe of not so be sure you have the right version! Enjoy

• Andrea says

I did get the updated recipe, thanks! Also you noted that humidity makes a difference in rise time, temperature does too. My kitchen was cold yesterday so I gave them an extra 10 minutes to rise. The oven was already hot, so I couldn’t use that for them. They were great for sliders. Have you tried them bigger like for hamburger buns? Might try it and see what happens. Thanks for replying, and great recipe.

i followed the recipe and my rolls turned out more like biscuits. can anyone tell me if they had this happen and/or how to fix it?

Jen,
      The rolls are definitely a denser roll due to the short rising time. But if they were more like biscuits it may have been an issue with your yeast. Did your yeast “proof” (get bubbly) also did the rolls rise at all? If your yeast wasn’t activated because your water was too hot or too cold that may have caused the rolls to be more biscuit like.

• Anne P says

I know they don’t call for bread flour, but if they’re not rising fully, try using that instead of all-purpose flour. I was having the same problem with bread in general until I fixed that one problem. Now everything turns out great. I just made these using bread flour and they came out perfect.

• fitmomoffive says

to convert regular flour to bread flour, just add 1 extra tablespoon per cup of required bread flour….. or you can add the gluten. We just add the extra regular flour and no gluten and it seems to work just fine.

• Monica says

Jen – same thing happened to me! They taste more like my Mom’s yeast biscuits. I used All Purpose flour so maybe that was the problem. I’ll try bread flour next time. They weren’t bad – but I was expecting “rolls” like at Logan’s Road House. It was like taking a big gulp of what you think is Coke and it was really Dr. Pepper! LOL! If I can ever figure out how to make rolls like Logan’s, my husband and kids will love me forever!

• Janet says

Mine were pretty dense too. I don’t think I let them rise enough I just went by the recipe and let them rest for 10 minutes. I didn’t know I had to let them rise. But they still tasted good just dense.

3. Jennifer says

These are great!! Super easy and very tasty! My hubby asked for “soft rolls” to go with our roast tonight so I tried these out. We all LOVED them! Thanks! :)

Really?!! If I could make these work I would feel as if I have finally crossed the line between roll failure and roll success. Plus I am really impatient. Amazing.

5. Anne P says

These are really yummy, but the name is a bit of a misnomer. They’re really more like 45-50 minute rolls. Still, that’s better than the alternative.

• Jennifer M. says

I’m so glad you posted this. I thought it was just me…lol!! They took close to an hour for me to make them. It was my first attempt , they were ok, turned out more like biscuits. I’m sure it was my error. I’ve never made bread or rolls from scratch. I’ll keep trying :)

6. Jilliannie says

I can’t wait to try these! I was wondering if you have ever frozen the dough? Do you think it would be possible?

7. Anne P says

These really are good rolls, but they’re not 30 minute rolls, more like 45-50. There’s 35 minutes just in the resting and baking times. Still, it’s better than the alternative. Thanks!

8. Anne P says

After a little experimentation, here are a couple of things I’ve discovered.

First, if you substitute 1½ tablespoons of rapid rise yeast for the 2 tablespoons of regular yeast, you don’t have to let it rest (proof) 15 minutes at the start.

Also, the first time I made these, they got a beautiful golden brown on the outside, but weren’t quite done on the inside. So this time I lowered the temperature to 350ºF and increased my cooking time to 18 minutes and they came out perfectly.

The increase in cooking time was more than offset by the reduction in resting time.

9. ErinMadamLibrarian says

I can’t believe these were so soft after only rising 10 minutes! I think homemade rolls are back on the menu at my house.

10. Tammy says

I do not have a large mixer, I will be mixing by hand, is that ok or do I need to do somehting different when mixing by hand, thank you

Thank you for the awesome recipe. I used quick rise yeast and bread flour for mine and let the bread machine and oven do all the work. They turned out absolutely fantastic! I see me making these again and again

12. Kiley says

My dough was intimidatingly sticky so I decided to spray my hands with the coconut oil cooking spreay i used on the baking dish.. Worked like a charm!

I made these rolls this week and they were fantastic! I had to bake them about 5 minutes longer than stated to get any color on them. There are only 2 of us, so there were leftovers. I put them in the freezer and tonight I pulled out a few and put them on a baking sheet at 350 degrees for 10 minutes and they were even better than when they were fresh baked! Thanks for posting this recipe. It will replace our Sister Schubert’s rolls in the freezer!

14. Joan says

The first time I tried this they turned out like biscuits. Still not bad. The leftovers were good. So I read the comments and decided maybe mine did not rise enough. So I decided I will give it another try. Mind you, I have never made any form of bread from scratch before. I don’t like the kneading part so this one was for me.
    I tried making it again tonight. I doubled the recipe. Added 2 teaspoons of garlic powder and 1/2 c Italian cheese. Mixed them all together. I made the rolls a little bigger, and still let it rest for 10 minutes after forming them into a ball. Baked at for 18 mins @ 400 F.
    This I know for sure, this is a keeper for sure! The smell is incredible. It tastes really good. This time it resembled more like rolls more than biscuits.
    Adjustments I will do next time, add more cheese and try herbs for sure. I will most probably lower temp to 350 or 375 specially with double recipe and cook it for 20 mins.

15. Krista says

I made these rolls tonight for supper and they were awesome! I had to switch pans half way through to get the bottoms cooked evenly though. Has anyone tried a different pan that cooks more evenly? I also brushed my buns with melted margarine right out of the oven and it made them even better!

Making these now. I will be featuring them on my thrifty-food blog if all goes well! If so, I’ll link back with the page and let you know. Thanks for the recipe, I can’t wait.

These are really fantastic…..I just made hamburger sliders with caramelized onions and used these as the buns. Really really good stuff. These would also be possibility for hotdog buns? Can they freeze? Such a great recipe!

PS: I’d love to incorporate my sourdough starter in this……any suggestions on how much I should use and replace with what? I may have to go to my lab, ahem….kitchen I mean and create something.

Nicki I have never worked with sourdough starter so not much help – sorry! Think you better head to the lab! I bet they will be delicious though.

19. Kim says

Thank you for the recipe. I made these tonight but was dissapointed because they were really lacking in salt. They were just bland. I think the salt should be doubled to 2 tsps. I sprinkled salt on them so we could eat them and they tasted much better. I will try making these again but next time I will be doubling the salt in the recipe. I know if the salt were right, they would have been delicious ;-)

20. Carol says

I thought I would try these tonight to have with spaghetti. They seemed to be a cross between a biscuit and a roll. However, I found they tasted a bit yeasty.

21. Meagan says

I made these with half whole-wheat all purpose flour and half white all purpose flour. They turned out well, if a bit dense, but super tasty out of the oven! Thanks for a great recipe for my pulled chicken!

22. Catalina says

I made these tonight and they turned out fantastic!! I used ap flour and it worked out just fine. Very good recipe, thank you!! Here in Chile we’re not really used to eating this kind of bread– like with eggs and oil–, but I love trying out new things :)

• Jamie says

Just made these rolls. I was so happy to see that there is no dairy in these rolls because my little boy LOVES bread and rolls like this but can’t have dairy. The rolls came out beautiful. I did let them rise in my oven a bit longer with just the oven light on for about 20 minutes. I had my bread maker mix up the dough for me. I used bread flour, I think that is a must in this recipe. Really easy and yummy! I will be making these rolls on a regular basis..Thanks!

23. Diane says

I have made these rolls a few times for my family – absolutely wonderful! Thanks so much for posting this great recipe. It takes me about 45 minutes to make them – the main time waster is trying to form the rolls with such sticky dough. Thanks to one of the other comments, I’m going to try this again soon, but with cooking spray on my hands. :)

24. Heather says

I have made this recipe for over a year and it is a HIT! For some reason, until one time recently, I always for the egg. Honestly, we prefer the rolls without the egg as they are much fluffier :)

Thank you for a great recipe that I accidentally modified because I was rushing through a recipe. It will always be our dinner roll recipe!!

25. Elizabeth says

I am NEW to baking, I can cook with the best of them, but I am baking illiterate.

What kind of yeast do you use? Whenever I go to buy yeast there are so many options and I get overwhelmed.

Thanks!

26. Myla says

made these last night with our supper and they were done lightening fast! more than likely, under the 30min suggested time. I didn’t need anywhere close to the 15min proofing – it was perfect at 5mins. I used more than the suggested 3½C flour, and it was AP flour as well because it was extremely humid here yesterday and I still ended up with a very sticky dough after adding in over ¼C more flour. Considering that it was my first time making these, I didn’t want to add in too much and make it worthless.

Everyone in the family loved them plain, with our sausage & peppers in tomato sauce. My 16mo old even dipped his in the sauce and proclaimed MMMM! :)

Just wow! This recipe is most definitely a keeper! Found a link to this site via Pinterest and when making my dear man a pasta dinner tonight, figured I’d give these a try. The only thing that I modified were some additions; I added shredded mozzarella, a small handful of shredded sharp cheddar and parmesan along with italian seasoning and garlic powder to the dough (I was looking for more of a savory flavor). Once they came out of the oven, I topped them with melted butter, sea salt and garlic powder. Outstanding! Thank you for the great recipe. I’ll be linking back to this page via my site too.

Great recipe! I made them last night and immediately took some to the neighbors so that we didn’t eat the whole batch ourselves! I was skeptical of a 30 minute yeast roll, but you proved me totally wrong! I blogged the recipe and linked it back to your site. Thanks for adding a fabulous roll recipe to my repetiore.

29. Dianne S. says

I just made these rolls and WOW they are great. These rolls brought me back to 1970 when I was in high school. Our cafeteria made rolls almost exactly like these. When my girl friends and I wanted to go out for the weekend we would take 5 cents out of our 55 cents lunch money and buy just the roll for 5 cents and make it our lunch.
    You helped me recreate a wonderful memory.

30. Laura says

Rarely ever post on blogs, but this recipe was too divine not too!! My whole family LOVED them and I was thrilled at how easy they were. I did them per recipe and used my 12in cast iron skillet to bake them in. Basted the tops with salted butter when they came out of the oven. Felt like clouds and tasted like heaven!! Thank You!! I will NEVER buy rolls again!!

Laura, Thanks for taking the time to comment. I love the idea in doing them in my iron skillet. Will totally try that next time. Thanks! SO glad you enjoyed them.

Hi Leigh Anne, my name is Maria. This is an amazing recipe. I love all your recipes so much that I added this one to my blog, but giving the link to here, as the original source, as I always do with everything I publish. Thank you very much for your time and kind consideration.

32. sue says

Hi Leigh Ann,
    I watched a masterchef show where one of the contestants baked a french loaf in 30 min and the judges praised him for it. I thought I had to have that recipe and scrolled for one. I tried it immediately. Got your recipe 45 min ago and baked immediately. The only thing I did was to reduce the yeast to 1 1/2 tbs and added vanilla extract to reduce the yeasty smell. They turned out beautiful and I mean beautiful. I had 16 gorgeous rolls, topped it with a bit of cheese and I could not believe how dense and lovely they were. Will try and make them as burger buns for my children’s breakfast. Thanks a zillion.

33. Joy says

These were AMAZING!!! My 12 year old daughter just made them. We used the bread machine to mix it and took it out right away and followed the recipe. They were perfect an oh so tasty!! Thank you for a GREAT recipe!!

34. rose says

Absolutely LOVE your blog…just found it and tried your rolls today and am hooked! Question however, I made these with unbleached flour and put them in my bread maker to knead. I had to put some extra flour and cook them a little longer. Because I put more flour in them, do you think it caused them to need to cook longer? They were BIG and excellent even though I let them rise five minutes longer and put them back in the oven becase they were raw and not quite done. Thanks in advance!

I have just put a pan of these in the oven… and I can hardly wait! The dough was so light and fluffy! I am betting these are going to be delish~ I will return and let you know. Thank you for your recipe~

36. april says

if i have extra dough can i refrigerate and cook later on time crunch and unable to bake the rest. I made up more than i needed usually cook n freeze but out of time.

37. Lisa Derkach-Vandervet says

I tried these rolls using bread flour and grapeseed oil. They were delicious. But they took me 20 minutes at 400 degrees to be golden brown. (I may try them again at 350 degrees as one of the others on the site suggested, just to see. Nice to have homemade rolls over the store boughten ones. This ones a keeper…..

38. Amanda J. says

Amazing! I made these tonight and they are divine. My son is humming they are so good! He’s just 3, LOL. Thank you so much for a fabulous recipe!