30 Minute Rolls

thirty Minute Rolls

I’ve lost track of how many times I have made these rolls in the last few months.  Let’s just say it’s been a lot.

And everytime I’ve made them everyone has asked “Is this recipe on the blog?”  I have been promising and promising it would be so now it is.

I found this recipe over at my friend Laura’s blog – Real Mom Kitchen.

Believe it or not these rolls only take 30 minutes to make.  Start to finish.  Really!  And they are a yeast roll.  The other thing I love about this recipe is that it makes a dozen good size rolls.  You can make them smaller and make two dozen if you’d like.  But with our reduced size family we don’t need two dozen rolls, we don’t really need one dozen either so I know a few nice teenage boys that I like to share them with.

You mix the yeast, sugar, oil and water  together and let it rest for 15 minutes.  Then you mix up the dough and make 12 balls and let them rest for 10 minutes.

And then in just ten minutes they look like this.

And then after baking for another 10 minutes they look like this!

And they taste as good as a roll that took two hours to make!

Of course the best way to eat a fresh, warm roll right out of the oven is with lots of honey butter!

There you have it – quick, easy and delicious!  I promise!

Be sure and check out the Herb and Cheese Version I created too – it’s so good!.

30 Minute Rolls

• 1 C plus 2 Tbsp warm water
  • 1/3 C oil
  • 2 Tbsp active dry yeast
  • 1/4 C sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 egg
  • 3 1/2 C bread flour (seems to work better but all purpose flour will also work)

• Heat oven to 400 degrees.
  • In your mixer bowl combine the water, oil, yeast and sugar and allow it to rest for 15 minutes. Using your dough hook, mix in the salt, egg and flour.
  • Knead with hook until will incorporated and dough is soft and smooth. (Just a few minutes)
  • Form dough into 12 balls and then place in a greased 9 x 13 pan and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Bake for 10 minutes at 400 degrees or until golden brown.

Recipe from Real Mom Kitchen

Comments

Carol says:

Sounds yummy! Do you use the dough hook for mixing the first ingredients?

MelanieL says:

Wow! My son loves rolls, I need to give these a try! I have trouble with yeast, do I just use regular yeast?

• 2.1
      Leigh Anne says:

Yes, just regular yeast. Let me know how it works for you.

• 2.1.1
        Debbie says:

I love making bread. When I saw this recipe this morning, I was curious about how this could be done so quickly. I just finished making the rolls and they are fabulous. I actually made 15 quite large rolls out of this recipe. It looks like the speed comes from mixing sugar in with the yeast and water to proof. The only think I did differently was to brush the tops with butter half-way through the baking time and then again after they came out of the oven. Excellent recipe. I will be making these again!!

camille c says:

Can I use wheat flour for this recipe?

Just printed this recipe to try this week. Looks super easy and super delicious. It reminds me of a recipe I made many years ago, over and over again, in a bread machine that eventually wore out.

Liz says:

What type of oil do you use?

Suzanne says:

Thanks for making it easy to print out. I was just trying to print out another recipe on another blog and there was no way to do it without all of the extra stuff. It would not print out right so I gave up.

Andrea says:

I found this recipe on Pinterest and made it for dinner tonight. I followed the directions exactly and they were delicious! This was my first time making home made rolls from scratch and this recipe was so easy. Thank you for sharing it here and for making it so easy to print from your blog. :)
    Andrea recently posted..Introducing Mechatars! {review & giveaway}

rere says:

they look great! i am planning to make them real soon. would you know if the dough can be used to make cinnamon rolls too?

• 8.1
      Leigh Anne says:

I have not used them for that but I don’t see why not. You may want to add a little more sugar to the dough as cinnamon rolls are usually made with a little sweeter dough. Give it a try and let me know!

• 8.1.1
        rere says:

i am planning on trying them for the cinnamon rolls REAL soon. i made these saturday afternoon and everyone here LOVED THEM!!! thank you so much!

• 8.1.2
        Debbie says:

I was thinking as I was making these rolls that this dough could definitely be used for cinnamon rolls.

auntie m says:

I made these last night with a 50:50 blend of whole wheat and unbleached flour. Amazing little recipe for those times when you need something to round out the meal in a hurry. A keeper!

Kenni says:

I made these the other day they were so light and yummy! I will definitely be making these again. The only problem I had was that the dough was really sticky. Was this a problem for you or could it be because I halved the recipe and eyeballed the amount of egg?
    Kenni recently posted..I Love You, Honey(comb)!

A friend of mine referred me to this recipe (and your blog). I love your blog and I LOVE these rolls. I made them for dinner tonight and OMG I am in love with how easy they are. My dough was super sticky – is that how it’s supposed to be? I ended up adding more flour so I could handle it easier. This is a dangerous recipe for me – so good and so easy.
    Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust recently posted..Cinnamon Swirl Bread

Uschi says:

Sounds yummy and easy – so what kind of flour are you using if not wheat flour? Sorry for maybe asking a stupid question, I’m from Germany :-)

wanda says:

Did you use plain flour or self rising flour?

Whitney says:

Do you use rapid rise (or quick acting) yeast or just the regular yeast for bread machines? Thanks! They look delicious!

Cammie says:

Just made these with 100% whole wheat flour. I just added the flour until it made a slightly sticky dough. They were amazing.

Heather says:

Found this on Pinterest and made them tonight for dinner. These are the PERFECT hot roll!!!! I have already emptied out my so-so- recipes and replaced it with this one. They are super easy and taste amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Ashley says:

Made these rolls tonight for dinner. It was the first time I’ve made homemade rolls. Very easy recipe and simple to follow. They were very yummy! However, they tasted a bit floury (it’s a word right? ha). What do I do about that? I followed the recipe exact.

• 17.1
      Leigh Anne says:

Ashley – Congrats on making your first rolls. As far as tasting “floury” just try adding the flour a cup at a time until the dough is soft enough and not too sticky that you can work with it. You want a nice soft dough, not sticky but not too dry either.

Shanti says:

Hi!! I’ve been looking for a recipe like this one for sooooo long!!! thank you for sharing! It looks easy and delicious! my husband will love it!
    Shanti
    Shanti recently posted..Happiness and frustation…

Marissa says:

I wanted to make these but I was wondering since I don’t have a dough hook if they would still turn out the same!

Sparklee says:

Oooh, these look wonderful! It’s getting cold here, so today would be a nice day to bake!
    Sparklee recently posted..Quick Update

Shannon Brouwer says:

Made these tonight! The kids LOVED them. Thanks for sharing another great one :)

sweet cake says:

Just tried these and they were a bit floury…had to add extra flour because the dough was sticky. Will definitely try them again another day!

Stuffed a few with cheese and a few others with the same filling we use for Pan de Jamon we make in my country (ham, olives, raisins….sounds strange but yummy). They turned out great!

Ashley L says:

I wonder if these could be made gluten free by using an all purpose gf flour? Hmmm. They look/sound delicious!

Lori says:

Thanks for sharing! I made these this morning — guys on tractors and combines loved them ! I did use milk for the water and used margarine or butter for oil. Then I made them into cinnamon rolls ! They are begging me for more ! I am glad I found you !

Melinda says:

I think I screwed up somewhere. Made these for a small dinner party to go with crock pot BBQ ribs….and the dough didn’t form a ball.
    I’m definitely going to try again. I think I used 1/2 c water instead of 1 c.

Tammy says:

YUMMMMMMY!!! I have these in the oven now and can’t wait to taste them! So easy and fast – perfect for me! I think I’ll make them for Turkey Day too!! I will even post about them on my blog and will be sure to tell you when! (I do a foodie Friday :) )
    Thanks!!!
    Tammy

Reilly says:

Can the dough be made a day or more ahead of time and then baked? Or should they truly only rest for 10 min?
    Thanks!
    Reilly recently posted..Reading is WRAD!

Delaine says:

I do not have a hook, is that okay?

Jessica says:

There’s only two of us….I was trying to figure out if I could cut this in half. The only thing that might mess me up is the 1 egg. Think I could still just use a whole one and I’d be fine?

Amber says:

I made these but they turned out kind of crumbly, more like biscuits than yeast rolls. Any ideas what I did wrong?

Krystle says:

I made these Monday and froze them for our Thanksgiving dinner on FRIDAY….how should I heat them up again?
    Thank you!
    Krystle recently posted..Where I’m From

• 31.1
      Leigh Anne says:

I usually put rolls/bread in a brown paper bag, rub the outside with a little water and then put it in the oven (the water helps the bag not catch on fire!) They heat up that way without getting soggy or dried out.

Missy says:

My sister has been making a version of these for years, but they’re one-hour rolls. I discovered I can let her recipe rise less and they still cook up large in the oven like your recipe! I will definitely try your version because we are a busy small family of 4 and 30 minutes is perfect!

Taylor says:

These are sooo awesome! I have four kids and they rise and call me blessed when I make these! ;) thank you!
    Taylor recently posted..The Family Bed.

Nessa says:

Mine had soggy bottoms! Am in the UK so may have got the measurements wrong when transferring from your cups to mls/mgs. They looked lovely but were also a bit ‘doughy’.

Elizabeth says:

What kind of yeast do you use? I normally use the packets and they come in 1/4 ounce portions, so I was wondering if there was something else I should use. Thank you!

• 35.1
      Leigh Anne says:

I buy my yeast in bulk but you can use packages. One package of yeast is about 2 1/2 tsp of yeast. One Tablespoon is equal to 3 teaspoons. So you could use 2 packages of yeast and just be under 2 Tablespoons and it would probably be fine.

• 35.1.1
        donna says:

My husband made these rolls this week – they were great. The only problem he had was they were really sticky even after adding an extra cup of flour. He said that he never did get them to form into balls and had to just throw them into pan. He used bread flour and 3 pkg of rapid yeast, Do you think rapid yeast made a difference?

Laura Hill says:

Could you tell me what a bread hook is?? Those rolls look delicious….

Laysha says:

would love to make these for dinner but all I have is quick rising active yeast, how do you think that would work???

Christine says:

I LOVE this recipe!! My father in law (who is a chef) couldnt believe they only took 30 minutes!!! i taught him a thing or two ;)

Thank you so much! (i am actually making them again as we speak!)

Karissa says:

I have been using this fabulous recipe for EVERYTHING! Plain rolls and anything that says to use a refrigerated dough. It’s so versatile!

Marina says:

They worked! I’ve tried so many different recipes and my dough never rose. Thank you for a great recipe! It was so easy to make. :)

Susan says:

Was so excited to try these and did this evening, but they flopped. Did not rise and would not bake through, stayed very doughy inside and I baked them for over 30 minutes. Just checked to make sure I had all the ingredients correct and had followed all directions. My yeast was brand new. Do you have any suggestions as to why this would happen?

• 41.1
      Leigh Anne says:

Not sure what happened. This recipe works beautifully most of the time but have had a few people have a problem with it. Did your yeast proof? The only reason I can think of that they didn’t rise was that your water was either too hot or not warm enough and the yeast was not activated. This would cause them not to rise.

• 41.1.1
        Dana Mosier says:

The water was not too hot. I used warm water. I thought the yeast looked good. I will try again with warmer water. Thanks for your advice!!!

Tomi says:

These came out perfect! I never thought I could make good homemade rolls so quickly. Thank you so much.

Artsnark says:

spotted on pinterest & can’t wait ti try. The short rising time is fantastic – thanks for sharing
    Artsnark recently posted..Every Anime Opening Ever Made

Misty says:

These were so quick and easy and YUMMY!!! I have never made homemade rolls because I was scared to even try a recipe with yeast. Thanks for sharing this! I will be making these often and Im going to try and freeze the dough so I can just pop 4-5 rolls in the oven at a time. Have a blessed day.

Stephanie says:

This is a beautiful recipe! :) I was skeptical good rolls could come from 25 mins of rising, but it sure proved me wrong! They were wonderful, and made just enough to feed me, my mom and daddy, and five siblings. Tasted great straight from the oven and flavored with a dab of homemade apple butter.

I could go on for ages, but it’s late and there’s church and stupid jr. high homework to get to :p

Thanks a bunch from southern Missouri!
    ~Stephanie

Cindy says:

Do I use Plain flour or self-rising? Thx

Samantha says:

I made these rolls they tasted great but they were dry. What did I do wrong? Or didn’t do right.

Marylee says:

Have you ever doubled the recipe? We are having company for dinner and I need more.

Debby says:

I had to add more flour to be able to handle to shape the rolls and thought they needed more salt. Thanks for the recipe.

lindsey says:

i made them and they look great and smell great but they taste kinda plain. i followed the recipie to the t. suggestions

1. [...] scalloped potatoes (in the crockpot), green beans almondine, corn, baked pineapple, 30-minute dinner rolls served with cinnamon honey butter (made this for my neighbors’ gifts and had some left!)….and, [...]

2. [...] I do still have it. And so, I bring you the best dinner roll recipe originally brought to you by Your Home Based Mom. This would be an example of a recipe that I do not alter in the basic ingredients. On occasions [...]